98 V70 Headlight Flasher Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently discovered that the headlight flasher function (by pulling the left paddle on the steering column) would not work when the headlight switch was in the OFF position. I do have DDL's disabled.

I thought this odd since the high-beams work with the switch ON and I'm able to toggle between HI & LOW using the left paddle.

I dropped by an indy Volvo shop and the tech said the HD light switch itself must be faulty. He enabled DDL and it made no difference.

Then we checked a nearby 850 and the high-beam flasher worked fine even without a key in the ignition. I remember my old SAAB working this way as well.

I pulled the headlight switch, split the case and looks like time for a good clean. I noticed on the rear of the switch, a small panel that says "13.5V c a b DOT" There appears to be a small white DIP switch that can slide between 'c', 'a', or 'b'. Not sure what this is for. Different electrical system for USA vs. Europe? Different headlight bulb wattages?

I also found this while searching....
Quote:
1998 Volvo S/V70 T5 NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V504000
Recall Date: OCT 21, 2004
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:SWITCH
Potential Units Affected: 97000
Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH MAY CEASE TO FUNCTION.
Consequence: THE HEAD LIGHTS MAY NOT OPERATE PROPERLY WHICH COULD RESULT IN INTERMITTENT OR NO HEADLIGHT FUNCTION. THIS COULD IMPAIR A DRIVER'S VISIBILITY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy: ON VEHICLES WITH AN ORIGINAL OEM SWITCH, DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH. ALL OTHER VEHICLES WILL BE INSPECTED TO DETERMINE IF THE SWITCH HAS EEN DAMAGED AND REPLACE ONLY IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 24, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.

I called Volvo however they're already closed for the day. The tag on the HD light switch says "8601773 99W18V". Not sure if this is the original HD switch from the factory or not. I'm guessing it is because I acquired the sled in 1998, the recall is dated 2004, but I never received a notice from Volvo Inc. regarding this. Not sure if it's still open either.

I checked all headlight related fuses in both boxes, Main (2,5,6,7) & Sec (8,10,13,19,20,21,22,26).

No wonder flashing headlights as a warning has no effect! Any 98 S/V70 owners been through this?

Update:
I called Volvo Inc., gave them the VIN and asked about the recall noted above. They said the new switch had been installed at the factory.

I then asked for clarification regarding the operation of the high-beams via the left paddle with the headlight switch OFF. He didn't know.

I did find a schematic that indicates it is for my car. It indicates that 12V is avail full-time to the left side paddle and that it directly switches power to the high-beams, which sounds very odd. For a 55W bulb and say 13V avail. means a current requirement of 4.2A...per bulb. 8.4A DC is quite a bit of current to pass through a paddle switch....could be it's Tango Uniform by now and I have a burned contact on the turn signal switch. Time to take some voltage readings.

Update II:
I found a schematic for the High/Low headlight circuit and it indicated full time 12V straight from the power buss to the turn signal switch. Strangely-enough, it switches the high-beams directly, i.e. no relay. I pulled the turn signal switch and shorted between pins #4 & 6 on the connector and the high beams + dash high-beam indicator illuminated. So I suspected the switch. However, when I measured the resistance between these two pins on the switch itself, I found continuity and about 0.5 Ohm's of resistance.

Yet with voltage applied, I couldn't make it work. Didn't make sense....

Fortunately, the switch could be disassembled. Inside I found two sets of contacts, one looked brand-new and the other a bit burned. I cleaned up the later and the turn signal contacts as well with Deoxit then used Preservit (Cramolin Blue) afterwards. To ensure reliable operation, I installed a small screw through the copper and into the plastic support underneath it. Very odd the way this second contact is designed...not sure how it should hold up over time. It appeared to have 'lost it's spring' and just stopped pressing down with enough force to make contact.

After reassembly, it works like a charm! No key is needed at all to flash the high-beams and I'm pleased to have been able to restore this functionality with such a small investment of time. A new TSW is about $100...+ sales tax...+ shipping. No telling what the local dealer wants....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back