98 ford explorer 4.0L sohc with rattle when warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the job is finished. As previously stated they removed and replaced the engine. I also found out they removed the heads. I did not know that was needed. I think it was the rear chain and guides that prompted the head removal. Total cast including new spark plugs was $1,424.00. About 1/2 the Ford dealer estimate.

The timing guides front and rear were broken and pieces inside oil pan with the oil strainer very fouled. They replaced timing chains, jackshaft chain, tensioners and guides with Ford parts. The used Felpro head gaskets, new head bolts, both oil pan gaskets and timing cover gasket. They Changed the oil/filter. Believe oil is Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic. They wan it back in 1,000 miles to change oil and filter again.

All it all it runs great. Much smoother and when reved it sounds smooth. My wife says the trany even shifts better.

However, there is a tiny random rattle after engine is warm at idle. I hope it was something that was there and not noticed before. it could be a water pump or pully. The shop told me to drive it afew days and get back to them if there was any issues.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Well the job is finished. As previously stated they removed and replaced the engine. I also found out they removed the heads. I did not know that was needed. I think it was the rear chain and guides that prompted the head removal. Total cast including new spark plugs was $1,424.00. About 1/2 the Ford dealer estimate.

The timing guides front and rear were broken and pieces inside oil pan with the oil strainer very fouled. They replaced timing chains, jackshaft chain, tensioners and guides with Ford parts. The used Felpro head gaskets, new head bolts, both oil pan gaskets and timing cover gasket. They Changed the oil/filter. Believe oil is Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic. They wan it back in 1,000 miles to change oil and filter again.

All it all it runs great. Much smoother and when reved it sounds smooth. My wife says the trany even shifts better.

However, there is a tiny random rattle after engine is warm at idle. I hope it was something that was there and not noticed before. it could be a water pump or pully. The shop told me to drive it afew days and get back to them if there was any issues.

Found the rattle,we think as it is not repaired yet. The belt tensioner and pully appear to be rather noisy with a slight wobble. The old noisy engine apparently masked it. Will get it fixed in the next few days.

BTW, where is Bluestream on his repair?

Wow.

Now I know why I keep finding 4.0L SOHC Explorers for sale with light engine noise for dirt cheap.

FOUR timing chains?

I'll stick with my wife's Durango and my older pushrod Fords...

Originally Posted By: occupant
Wow.

Now I know why I keep finding 4.0L SOHC Explorers for sale with light engine noise for dirt cheap.

FOUR timing chains?

I'll stick with my wife's Durango and my older pushrod Fords...

Hey-I resemble that remark :) I could not even sell (literally or in good faith) the truck in the condition it was. We were not ready for a another vehicle so repair was the best choice for us.

Russell That is a great price for all the work anf parts that they used. My repair is stalled as I have run into other more important things that I need to get done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back