ABS Issues

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC, 145k miles, RWD
ABS light came on a couple weeks ago. Symptoms are very consistent each day.
Go out in the morning to leave for work and start the engine. ABS light is on. As soon as the vehicle starts moving, the light goes off.
However fast you get moving in your driveway or the parking lot at work; when you step on the brake pedal, the ABS system false activates (pedal pulsates).
After you drive about a quarter mile down the road, the ABS light comes back on, and the brake system feels normal until the next time the vehicle is turned off.
I have a buddy with a scan tool, but he is not able to read ABS codes.
I often stop at O-R (close to my house) and have them read CEL codes when they come on. I'm not sure if they can read ABS codes? I have not stopped in there and asked yet.
If they can't read it, what would be my next step to try to figure out the root cause of my issue?
If it is likely a wheel speed sensor (I have no idea, just throwing that out there), how would I know which one?
TIA

I’m wondering if the tone ring/ringtone(one or more) has a broken tooth. I don’t know if your tone rings are connected to your rotors or at the hub. Is your ABS activating every time you stop? Just shooting out ideas I really don’t know.

You should get an old laptop, a $10 cable, and Forscan (free.) That'll give you the code.

I suspect it's something internal to the module, as it does a key-on self check, and knows there's a problem before you start rolling.

Get your battery tested too.

I had strange problems revolving around the ABS light on my BMW. Other symptoms were intermittent functioning of the tach, speedometer and odometer.The ABS Module was causing problems. Had it rebuilt by Module Masters. They did a great job. Taking it out and replacing it was easy. If it turns out to be your ABS module, that would be a good place to have it rebuilt.

All guesses until you get the actual code but based on my experiences my money is on a bad wheel speed sensor.

Thank you @atikovi
I have never owned a scan tool, or even considered it, really. It all seemed kind of overwhelming to me, honestly, because there are about a zillion different brands, models, etc. Plus, I figured they were outdated or obsolete as soon as you buy it.
I did a little checking after I saw your post. AAP has a Innova 5210 on sale for $100, same price as Amazon Crime. I have $5 in Speed Perks and a $10 gift card. I think I am going to pull the trigger.

Back