98 ford explorer 4.0L sohc with rattle when warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
thats a pretty good price, hopefully they know what they are doing with that motor. we have sold all the chains and cassettes to shops in the past, only to have the vehicle towed in so our techs can redo the job.

Hope so! They have done several and the owner/manager will only let twwo of his techs work on this type of issue. He is charging 14.5 hours labor which seem a bit low. A dealer quoted 22.5 hours.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Hey Russell, how did you make out with the Explorer??
It is at the shop as we speak. I should know more in a day or so as they just started yesterday afternoon. They read the codes before they started, apparently there there were some sort of timing error codes. Not sure what that means.

Humm, I didn't even know there were codes for timing?? Let us know how you make out with it, I am about to do my own, and may have some tough decisions to make if there is more wrong with it than I planned on...

Humm, I didn't even know there were codes for timing?? Let us know how you make out with it, I am about to do my own, and may have some tough decisions to make if there is more wrong with it than I planned on...

Hope i am not being fed a line of bull. However there are Ford specific codes regarding "cam" timing all related to something called continious variable timing (cvt). Question is-does this apply to my Explorer??

BTW, we had huge rains yesterday with significant flooding. My shop flooded with about a foot or so of water. As my car was not drivable they hand pushed to high ground. Many Other vehicles had the same experience while others and tools were raised on racks etc. Needless to say not much work was completed on my car. I will check tommorrow.

Last edited:
no CVT on that application, however the same code on an older vehicle could be something different. see if you can get the specific codes they pulled and i can run them through the FSM.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
no CVT on that application, however the same code on an older vehicle could be something different. see if you can get the specific codes they pulled and i can run them through the FSM.

Turns out there were no actual codes. The timing when scoped just varied a lot at idle. Indicating, to the shop, that the timing chain(s) were loose and causing the timing to shift. I checked late yesterday and the engine was almost out of the car.

Timing is going to jump around a lot until you pull out the SPOUT connector to cut out PCM controlled timing.

The timing on that engine is determined by the crank sensor/toothed wheel, not the cams. If the shop thinks the cams have any control of the timing, something scary is going on.

Originally Posted By: punisher
If the shop thinks the cams have any control of the timing, something scary is going on.

Ignition timing that is. For some reason I can't edit.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Timing is going to jump around a lot until you pull out the SPOUT connector to cut out PCM controlled timing.

The timing on that engine is determined by the crank sensor/toothed wheel, not the cams. If the shop thinks the cams have any control of the timing, something scary is going on.

I hope I misunderstood what the shop manager told me. Even so, i stopped by. The engine is out and the timing guides in the rear and front are broke into several parts. Reassembly with new guides and chains will be done on monday.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm pulling for you. I've followed this thread and would say have done due diligence. Can only hope the shop gets it right.

Thanks. So do I. If he messes up, not sure what my options are.

Originally Posted By: Russell

I hope I misunderstood what the shop manager told me. Even so, i stopped by. The engine is out and the timing guides in the rear and front are broke into several parts. Reassembly with new guides and chains will be done on monday.

Just out of curiosity, does the aftermarket make these parts, are they Ford-only parts and what did they use to repair it?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Russell

Just out of curiosity, does the aftermarket make these parts, are they Ford-only parts and what did they use to repair it?

I was told that the cassettes/guides are OE Ford parts while the others are Motorcraft parts. I was also told that Motorcraft is OEM for other shops.

You should ask for all the old parts back. This in case you have problems later. Make sure that they take off the oil pans and get out any debis. Also blow out the oil lines that feed the camshafts as there may be plastic stuck in there.

I started into my own truck tonight, and thankfully I had no broken parts in the lower oil pan which is a good sign. My engine was still very quite but I want to get the new parts in before I have any problems.

Here is what my oil pick up looked like:

SOHCChains007.jpg

You should ask for all the old parts back. This in case you have problems later. Make sure that they take off the oil pans and get out any debis. Also blow out the oil lines that feed the camshafts as there may be plastic stuck in there.

I started into my own truck tonight, and thankfully I had no broken parts in the lower oil pan which is a good sign. My engine was still very quite but I want to get the new parts in before I have any problems.

The shop told me that i would get all the parts back even before I requested them. I will call first thing in the morning regarding the oil pan. Thanks

Last edited:
Still not finished. They had teh engine back together late this afternoon. Almost ready to start and check out. He had teh mechanic take his time becasue "They did not want to do it again". Told me (as I already knew) there were no timing marks and had to use the proper tools to set the timing. They also wanted more time to test etc. for leaks.

The Manager kidded nme about the oil by suggesting that my old old oil would be best as "the" broken plastic parts" would grind up and make the oil last longer. He knew I knew better. When a guy takes pictures and provides a list of expectations. they Know. We shall see.

I am assuming they found a bunch of plastic and metal in the oil pan?

I think so, not sure about metal. I will verify when I pick it up tommorrow. It was actually ready today. They said it ran fine. However, there was a bit of air in the PS fluid (making noise) and the hood did not align quite right. They wanted to fix those items.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back