GM 4.3 Vortec Balance shaft rattle

I got a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 Vortec. 104k miles on her. Bought it at 103k miles, I’m the second owner.

When I was in the process of buying this and going on test drives, I swear I did not hear this rattle sound. Maybe I just didn’t hear it because I got excited about buying a 2001 GM with only 103k miles….

Anyhow,

I’ve been hearing this weird rattling type of sound from the engine bay at around 1500-1800rpm only in gear. I thought there was something major going on with the engine, perhaps a lifter issue or a timing chain issue.

After some further research, I found out the noise was coming from the balance shaft. It seems to be a very common issue with the SBC based 4.3 Vortec. Many people on other forums say it’s normal and it doesn’t have to be fixed, but I would like to get it fixed, because I can’t stand the rattling noise. The rattle sounds like a bunch of sand and marbles being shook around in a tin can.

I’m pretty sure GM released a TSB back in the 2000’s, and Im pretty sure they came up with a better updated bearing for the balance shaft, but I can’t seem to find any info on it, or the part number.

Should I fix this rattle noise, or just let it be. I feel like leaving it alone can cause issues on the long run, but maybe I’m wrong.

Back