98 Expedition Transmission Drain Bolt Torque - Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new transmission pan for my 98 Expedition 4R100.
Stopped the pan bolt leaks, but the drain bolt leaks.
I tightened to 18 ft/lbs, but it leaks between the pan and the rubber gasket.
What is the torque spec for this bolt?
I am assuming this is the sealing washer and not just some sort of packing or shipping washer that needs to be removed.
I have not seen one like this before, usually an o-ring type or hard plastic type.

[Linked Image]

No idea if that's a gasket for shipping purposes only but I'd start with a new/replacement gasket or washer. I found a Dorman plug that looks just like this one. Is that what you have (and a Dorman pan) ? https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-exp...c-transmission-drain-plug-118859100.html

18 ft/lbs seems a bit on the low side. My car has a sheet metal pan as well and Infiniti specs 25 ft/lbs. Try tightening it before buying a new gasket.

I see a reference from Haynes that does say 18 ft/lbs. Skeptical that 4 add'l ft/lbs would strip it though unless the threads were already bad.

It does not say in the FSM. I think I actually found an error though. In the procedure for drain and fill, it says to remove the plug but no-where does it say to tighten it.

Thanks for the efforts guys,
The new pan is not the same as the original, the bolt was in a different place and the gauge of the metal is not as heavy.
I am resurfacing my original pan and dress it with Hylomar, that procedure worked on the new replacement pan, but the drain bolt failed me.
My original pan has a nice solid bolt backing inside the pan.

[Linked Image]

Had to take the pan off old school style. I could not get the drain bolt out so had to lower the pan to capture the fluid.
In the end, the nut on the new pan is either crimped or pressed in and the drain plug nut was spinning. Did not strip it, it just wouldn't hold any more than 20 ft/lbs torque before coming loose from its fastening method.
Looks like it might be some form of t-nut that is fit into the stamped sheet metal pan and then crimped, maybe some sort of adhesive or sealant?
[Linked Image]

Did not strip it, it just wouldn't hold any more than 20 ft/lbs torque before coming loose from its fastening method.

As said above, that's not you - no way that should have let loose.

I would send that back and re-use the factory pan. Oops, now I see it - "I am resurfacing my original pan and dress it with Hylomar,"
thumbsup2.gif

Now, if your goal is added cooling (more capacity in the new pan) because you are in FL, I'd get an additional or larger aux cooler instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back