'97 Volvo 850 - 50k on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a '97 Volvo 850 with 260k miles on it.
My engine consumes 1qrt of oil every 2k miles. Because I have to add a qrt on a regular basis I haven't changed my oil for the past 50k miles. With every quart of oil I add, I add fresh oil and additives to keep the oil in shape.
I change my oil filter every 5k miles to keep the oil clean.
Car runs fine, have 23 mpg.

Based on this information, do you think I should still do a full oil change, or can I keep continuing what I'm doing.
I have had no issues at all.

Thanks,

Keep doing same thing imo. My bmw is same way. Add a qt about every 1k-1500. I just change filter once a year and leave it at that

There's some fine grit and dilute resins that oil filters don't catch, so you should do more regular full oil changes, imo. Acidity build up quicker also.

If it were me, I'd definitely change the oil. I would also catch some of the drained oil in a container and send it in for analysis to see what the condition is like. If the UAO comes back in good shape, then do it again
laugh.gif

That amounts to about a 10k mile oil change interval. I'd get an oil sample analyzed to see what's going on. If they say fine with that oil, keep doing it.

There could be heavy sludge accumulating at the bottom of the oil pan that doesn't get picked up by the oil pump and doesn't get burned.
So it's a good idea to bottom-drain once in a while.

There is a guy on here doing 40k oil changes whose car uses about the same amount. His UOA shows things in good condition. In your place I would do a full change every 40-50k at least, as mentioned there are some impurities that can remain and without a UOA you cannot be sure.

Originally Posted By: xshoex
Keep doing same thing imo. My bmw is same way. Add a qt about every 1k-1500. I just change filter once a year and leave it at that

+1

That Volvo isn't worth much more than the oil it's using.

Run it into the ground and dispose of accordingly.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That amounts to about a 10k mile oil change interval. ...
Oil condition should be similar to that at end of an 12K change interval without the consumption. [2000 miles ×(6qt/1qt.)]

Without knowing the mechanism for the oil consumption, isn't it possible that the lighter oil components are being burned faster than the heavier? And if that's the case wouldn't the sump's viscosity progressively increase? Maybe some of this is just fine, but beyond a certain point...

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
There could be heavy sludge accumulating at the bottom of the oil pan that doesn't get picked up by the oil pump and doesn't get burned.

This.

Originally Posted By: jayg

This.

Tell that to people who successfully use the dipstick siphoning method for oil and ATF fluid and the'll tell you this is hogwash!
(Myself included).

Yes - change every 50,000 miles or so if it bothers you to think that there could be sludge sitting in the bottom of the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back