97 Ford Expedition aftermarket remote delete

So we have a 97 expo that has a remote start system. It also only unlocks with that fob and if the battery dies in the fob, the truck won't start. " If the alarm/horn relay clicks under the column "

the truck will lock itself if someone parks next to you or walks by if you don't lock the doors yourself. " Like when you walk up to the truck to leave for work "

So I tried the standard fob programming thing, 8 key cycles makes the truck go into programming mode. No normal Ford fobs will link up.

This truck is a hunting truck and wife's daily driver. I've come to terms with needing another fob or not having it in general. I'm open to just removing it if someone can she'd light on how to go about removing it from the Ford wiring. If somehow it's easier to wire a different brain into the truck so that it only locks the doors and doesn't cripple the truck that would be great too...

Can anyone guide me in how they are wired into Fords security? I feel like the truck should be kinda common but I just might not be looking up the correct questions.

What does this fob look like, is it an original fob from Ford or 3rd party?

I am assuming you did not buy it new and it came with an aftermarket remote start/security system added by a prior owner (or dealer upsell), when I state that you need to locate that box and go from there.

It would have the factory wiring connected to it as inputs and outputs, and you just surgically remove that box and reconnect the inputs to the outputs. If you ID the make/model of box used and can find the installation manual, that may make it easier.

On the other hand if it was not installed well, it may just have a wiring problem that you can correct and have it functional again. I don't think it is necessarily (but could be) wired into the Ford PATS security system but rather, the core circuits of the vehicle, but you did not provide a lot of detail about what happens when you try and "the truck won't start".

Does it crank? Do you get fuel pressure? Do you get injectors and ignition coils working? It could instead cut crankshaft signal, there is some investigative work ahead for you.

Last edited:
Aftermarket remote system should have a box stuffed under the dash with wires spliced into the wiring. Remove the box and reconnect the cut wires with butt connectors.

I will get the module # and a picture of the key fob tonight after work.

As far as the truck not starting, if the horn relay is clicking under the dash, the key does nothing. I want to say the module was like c5000. I found them used on eBay and that's it.

She doesn't use the remote start feature, and we live in a town where nobody locks their doors. So having the luxury of locking/unlocking with the factory Ford fob would be more then enough for us.

The real scare we face, is the fob breaking or accidently leaving it behind. Once you shut the truck off and the security trips, you can't start it or override it. Everyone said, " turn the key forward for 30 seconds and it'll start "

nooooooooo it won't.

“Yesterday I got into my car and went to press the start button and got the dash banner stating NO KEY DETECTED. Well, I know that I have to hold the fob to the start button to gain communication. I did so and got the communication "BEEP" and proceeded to start the engine“

A Christmas Miracle I tell ya! 🤪

Back