'96 Maxima (VQ30DE) fuel injector service- advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '96 Maxima whose engine I'm about to put back together, after removing the lower intake. Basically I'm down to the heads/block, all intake/fuel, misc. emissions parts removed. I did this work to remove a mouse nest that was deep inside the "V", plus the critters managed to chew up the knock sensor wiring.

I'm doing valve cover gaskets and obviously new gaskets for everything I've removed-- basically trying to replace every maintenance item in the areas I've messed with, so I don't have to go back there again (this engine is terrible to work on.)

I'm leaning toward putting rebuilt injectors in, as this is a 220k mile engine. When I had the engine on a scanner (diagnosing the knock sensor and a couple EGR codes), I was getting very uneven short term fuel trims. No fuel trims codes, but it didn't look like healthy trims. I think it's a good idea to do something to the injectors, but I'm not sure what is the best value for this older car. I won't spend the cash on new, but there are rebuild services out there, the E-bay rebuilds, parts store rebuilds, etc. What have you guys had good luck with? These are side-feed injectors which are somewhat unusual (new to me at least) and some shops that do inj. rebuilds won't take them. I found a place in Denver that advertises a rebuild service (is legit, has a nice website, knows the ins and outs) but they guy takes a week or so to respond to E-mails, which makes me wonder about turnaround time when I send the injectors off. This has been a very slow process (essentially my being lazy as I don't rely on the car), but I'm putting my attention toward it again, and this injector issue is the last piece of the puzzle.

Any suggestions/input/experience would be much appreciated.

I think I'd drive up to Denver and walk into the shop, it will tell you a lot about the place. Shaking a man's hand and looking him in the eye makes a big difference.
Ask Trav

Smoky

Replace all three rear injectors.

I'd buy brand new injectors. Bosch, Hitachi, or Beck/Arnley, whichever is cheapest (all three are reboxed OEM injectors for this car). You can usually get them for about $70 each, but I was lucky enough to get a Bosch for $40 when I needed one.

One more thing: they do NOT come with the O-rings, so you have to purchase them separately. You'll need a package for each injector, so if you replace the three rear ones, you'll need 3 sets of O-rings. Beck/Arnley 158-0957

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back