93 Mercedes 400E - Amsoil EFM vs Rotella T6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, hoping someone has some more experience than I do. It's about time to do an oil change on my recently acquired Mercedes 400E with the legendary M119 V8 engine, running strong at 220k miles. Just wondering what oil you guys would recommend for my application.

I run Amsoil ZRT in my modified Toyota Supra, and have ran T6 in the past, but this is my first experience with a European engine. Amsoil recommends this EFM for my application, but wondering what you guys think!

Thanks!
All help is greatly appreciated!

T6 is great for this, or M1/Castrol 0w-40. EFM is the correct choice from Amsoil's lineup. Take your pick. I like T6.

T6 could be a concern with an automotive catalytic converter.

I'm thinking a Euro LL-01 like Castrol 0W-40, M1 0W-40, or Pennzoil 5W-40 (also LL-01) would work best.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Really? I thought that was just a myth. My cat is shot anyway(rotten egg smell), so I don't know how much worse it could be, lol. Also, when did Castrol come out with a 0W-40 Euro formula? How does it compare to the ole, "tried and true" GC 0W-30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carman594
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Really? I thought that was just a myth.

Yes, a myth. It contains similar levels of the materials in question as full SAPS euro oils.

Originally Posted By: carman594
Also, when did Castrol come out with a 0W-40 Euro formula? How does it compare to the ole, "tried and true" GC 0W-30?

Sometime in the past two years. From the VOA, it appears to be just a thicker version of 0w-30 with a bit of titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back