'93 Dodge Cummins 4x4 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of using Mobilube SHC 80w-140 in the Dana 60, Dana 70, and NP 205 transfer case. The distributor sells it significantly cheaper than Mobil 1 LS 75w-140. Any reason to use one or the other? The axles are non LSD 3.54.

The transfer case also allows motor oil SAE 30 or SAE 50 depending on temperature. But it seems like the 80w-140 would be fine instead of trying something like the Mobiltrans SHC 50.

For the Getrag 360 that specs 5w-30, I am thinking of trying Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 or GC 0w-30.

I live in Tennessee which is neither desert nor artic, but its not uncommon for me to drive across the desert. I also have a Jeep Cherokee with Dana 30 and Dana 35c axles. Currently they are filled with Mobil Synthetic LS 75w-140. I plan to standardize if possible. This means buying a case or two of the 75w-140 or a pail of the 80w-140.

Thanks,
Brian

Don't own that vehicle (mines a gasser 1/2-ton Dodge); I'd post that question on the TurboDieselRegister (TDR). Lots of info there.

As to the JEEP, I tried the 140W and found no improvement; stayed with 75W REDLINE on our '01 XJ.

I also used, and recommend, AUTO-Rx to clean out the differential (as well as motor, trans, power steering).

Good luck

I installed a Red Line Synthetic in the rear axle of my '91.5 W-250 & it has leaked from the right rear seal, ever since. I have since read that this experience is not uncommon. I've replaced the seal twice, to no avail.

I've since bought Lubrication Engineers LE-607 (high quality non-synthetic gear oil). Need to get the seal fixed properly, first.

You may not have the same problem I had, at least I hope not. It could have been a coincidence that the leak started immediately after the lube change. I just don't know. But, beware!

Joe Fihn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back