93 Accord 260k valve train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zmelli
Originally Posted by atikovi
Has a good bit of varnish. Maybe try some Kreen.

Car was abused before I bought it. Used 1 Qt every 3000 miles when I bought it, 100k later still consuming 1 Qt every 3000 miles. I just change the oil every 3k miles instead of adding make up oil. I am currently changing the timing belt. The belt has 100k on it.

Just add a quart and take it out to 6000 miles for an oil change

Originally Posted by BLND1
Doesn't look too bad. Keep on keeping on.
+1 Acquiring the car with 160k miles, and now 26 years of service, I'd say respectable looking valvetrain. Drive on.

For the mileage it looks fine. I'd continue doing whatever you've been doing, and leave well enough alone.

Originally Posted by Ram02
Castrol always leaving varnish behind . I'm stay with M1 really liking the EPHM flavor

Can someone attest to this? Was eyeing switching from Motul to Castrol, but if this is the case, then I'm rethinking it.

Originally Posted by BucDan
Castrol always leaving varnish behind . I'm stay with M1 really liking the EPHM flavor

Can someone attest to this? Was eyeing switching from Motul to Castrol, but if this is the case, then I'm rethinking it.

There was a thread here recently of a guy who had high mileage on his car (can't remember what kind) who has used nothing but Syntec/Edge and the engine was absolutely pristine! Me,I've never seen varnish associated with Castrol.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

There was a thread here recently of a guy who had high mileage on his car (can't remember what kind) who has used nothing but Syntec/Edge and the engine was absolutely pristine! Me,I've never seen varnish associated with Castrol.

Honestly, I think a lot of it stems from the BMW OEM fill, which, when used at factory intervals definitely seemed inclined to produce varnish.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Honestly, I think a lot of it stems from the BMW OEM fill, which, when used at factory intervals definitely seemed inclined to produce varnish.

Was that those ridiculous 20K oil change intervals in those expensive BMWs?

Was that those ridiculous 20K oil change intervals in those expensive BMWs?

Yup, though I think even shorter intervals still produced some varnish.

Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Looks really nice to me.
A little varnish after 16 yrs and 260K?
Of no concern at all.

Actually it's 26 years.

Oh, I guess it's really 2019 now.
Time flies as you get older:)

I do not think that the Castrol is causing the Tan! the tan was already there when I bought the car. I have another car that has been running the Castrol with 140K and does not have any varnish buildup. I may go ahead and look into running some Kleen thru it.

Originally Posted by zmelli
I do not think that the Castrol is causing the Tan! the tan was already there when I bought the car. I have another car that has been running the Castrol with 140K and does not have any varnish buildup. I may go ahead and look into running some Kleen thru it.

I forgot to mention that when I picked up the car there was so much varnish that I was not able to turn the valve tappet adjusters, I needed to replace them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these F22 Honda engines (same as yours) had 30k original miles at the time of the timing belt (2013ish) and the other had 100k original miles. Can you guess which is which? (It's not the one you expect)

That dirty F22 still ran great, and my clean specimen is still running today beautifully as a daily driver on a 90 mile round trip commute.

Originally Posted by asleepz
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of these F22 Honda engines (same as yours) had 30k original miles at the time of the timing belt (2013ish) and the other had 100k original miles. Can you guess which is which? (It's not the one you expect)

That dirty F22 still ran great, and my clean specimen is still running today beautifully as a daily driver on a 90 mile round trip commute.

In my former career I was a Honda and Toyota tech and it was regular to see vehicles with 200k that were immensely cleaner and better maintained than ones with 40k. Itseemed like customers wouldn't want to do the maintenance because it "only has XXX # of miles" but didn't understand when you explained their short trips and relative age of the component. Where as the customer with 200k knew they drove a lot and needed to keep up on the maintenance, thus their car reflected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back