93 Accord 260k valve train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using 0-40wt and the 0-30wt Castrol Edge since 2015. The car had 160k when I bought it.

IMG_20191223_163827559.jpg

IMG_20191223_163835715.jpg

IMG_20191223_163848486.jpg

Originally Posted by atikovi
Has a good bit of varnish. Maybe try some Kreen.

That varnish isn't bothering a thing. Keep on keeping on. My all time favorite body style Accord.

Looks really nice to me.
A little varnish after 16 yrs and 260K?
Of no concern at all.

Car was abused before I bought it. Used 1 Qt every 3000 miles when I bought it, 100k later still consuming 1 Qt every 3000 miles. I just change the oil every 3k miles instead of adding make up oil. I am currently changing the timing belt. The belt has 100k on it.

Pfff for what?

OP it looks good just keep your maintenance practices and ensure your PCV is in good shape and there are no coolant leaks.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Looks really nice to me.
A little varnish after 16 yrs and 260K?
Of no concern at all.

Actually it's 26 years.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I see no problem. Looks good!

I agree ^^^^^

And the fact the original poster got it and the car was not taken care of well.. Yet it has gotten another 100,000 miles... Is very, very good.

Originally Posted by Ram02
Castrol always leaving varnish behind . I'm stay with M1 really liking the EPHM flavor

+1. Where there is varnish(caused by oxidation) ring coking is possible.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Car was abused before I bought it. Used 1 Qt every 3000 miles when I bought it, 100k later still consuming 1 Qt every 3000 miles. I just change the oil every 3k miles instead of adding make up oil.

See, I'm on the flip side. If I had an engine using basically 2 quarts for a "sane" OCI, I'd likely just keep topping off as needed, and change the filter every manufacturer-recommended FCI. So if you used a Fram Ultra, you'd go 20k miles on an oil change, one filter, and 6.67 quarts of makeup oil... much less wasteful and no less "safe" than your 3k OCIs because you're down a quart... and saves you the cost of 5 additional filters and about 20 quarts of oil... JMO though.

Pics look decent for unknown treatment for 160k prior... can probably guarantee it had the cheapest conventional and ST or Framboards its whole life before you came along... keep doing what you been.
04.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back