'92 Sentra Clutch Replace $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a friend needing to replace the clutch on his 114,000 mile 1992 NISSAN Sentra.

Any idea of a fair price for an independent shop?

For a mechanic after hours?

He's been quoted $600 by a pair of shops and that seemed a little high to me. He just needs to get it down the road another few months before selling it for a different car (new job coming).

Your experience and advice is appreciated!
bowdown.gif

He could do the job himself with a Haynes/Chiltons or FSM.

Is it a 1.6?
$100 for clutch kit, resurface flywheel $40(not always needed), tranny axles seals, clutch cable, gallon of manual tranny gear oil,.....

$600 is very reasonable if the job is done thoroughly and correctly. $400 is normal if corners are cut(which usually happens).

Mechanics need to make a living too. Most of the expense is labor!

My old rule of thumb number was $350 (generic). I knew it was a bit hoary.

What you post sounds reasonable. No, this will not be a DIY job.

Insurance, rent, supplies, tools, wages, taxes, parts, etc. are why shops have to charge what seems like a stiff price.
Also, they usually have to guarantee their work.
$400.00 is a good low price for a shop to do the work.
$600.00 is high, but still realistic.

Thanks again to all. $400 is the number I was looking for (as delineated; cheap, but will work on a car to be sold), and the info has been passed on.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Apparently, you're not the owner nor are you operating this vehicle under the conditions he faces.

Then that is life. He either pays what it takes a shop to do it or does it himself.

Many get manuals for the upfront cheaper price of the vehicle but crawfish when it comes time to do normal maintenance due to cost $$. What compounds the price also is that a FWD cars are a pain in most applications as it is almost a full engine removal for alot of models.

Hootbro

It is a DIY job. My kid brother (he's 30) and I replaced a 1994 Sentra Clutch in less than 3 hours. We didn't bother resurfacing the flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back