91 vs 94

A new gas station just opened that sells 94 octane premium...up to this point 92 E10 was the highest available in my area minus racing fuel, with 91 E0 the most common premium offering. I expected a price increase of course compared to the 91 but I just dropped in out of curiosity to see what they charge and saw $6.59/gallon :confused:. Needless to say I went down the road and paid $4.39 for the E0 91. An extra dollar plus per gallon maybe but over $2.00 IMO is crazy considering the minimal difference. Price gouging since they are the only offering of 94?

Take 91 E0 and add 10% Ethanol and you get 94. Simple.
Some people will go for the higher number because..........

There's one Sunoco station in my area that sells 94. Otherwise the highest premium octane available is 93. Every grade around here has ethanol as far as I know.

Sunoco is proud of it, but not $2.00 proud.

I always wondered why the premium range is like that. E10 is mandated here and nearly all of the stations are 93. There is one particular brand that is 92. Then when you leave the mandate area, the Premium is E0 91. I've heard of 94, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

Yeah, I was going to ask was this Sunoco (or Shell - I always mix them up). At one time, they had (4) grades of fuel, something like 87, 89, 91, and 94. They marketed it specially too, like 'ultra' or something. They seemed to have dropped that quite some time ago.

94 octane does absolutely nothing for 99% of the population, so I wouldn’t worry about it
I'm aware, and I have no urge to go for it over 91 but was curious what the price premium was.
Take 91 E0 and add 10% Ethanol and you get 94. Simple.
Some people will go for the higher number because..........
It's E0 94, sorry didn't clarify that in the original post.
Yeah, I was going to ask was this Sunoco (or Shell - I always mix them up). At one time, they had (4) grades of fuel, something like 87, 89, 91, and 94. They marketed it specially too, like 'ultra' or something. They seemed to have dropped that quite some time ago.
It's not a Sunoco, it's a local company that also blends and is a supplier for others in the area.

I cross the border to Canada frequently at the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) and fill-up at their pre-taxed (duty free?) gasoline pricing. This year for Premium they only offer 90 octane and are calling it "Premium". Is this legal? My vehicle specifies a minimum of 91 octane. Should I forgo the savings due to the loss of an octane or continue to fill-up at 90 octane? Vehicle in 2021 Mercedes GLC300 4Matic SUV. Thirsty bu**er!

I cross the border to Canada frequently at the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) and fill-up at their pre-taxed (duty free?) gasoline pricing. This year for Premium they only offer 90 octane and are calling it "Premium". Is this legal? My vehicle specifies a minimum of 91 octane. Should I forgo the savings due to the loss of an octane or continue to fill-up at 90 octane? Vehicle in 2021 Mercedes GLC300 4Matic SUV. Thirsty bu**er!
Depends on the test method. Here we use Research + Motor / 2, In europe they just use one number. Maybe they do that in Canada too.

There's one Sunoco station in my area that sells 94. Otherwise the highest premium octane available is 93. Every grade around here has ethanol as far as I know.

If you happen to be in the part of Virginia where emissions testing is required, then ethanol gas is all that is allowed to be sold there.

This probably true, as a general rule, for the rest of the country.

I always wondered why the premium range is like that. E10 is mandated here and nearly all of the stations are 93. There is one particular brand that is 92. Then when you leave the mandate area, the Premium is E0 91. I've heard of 94, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

Probably because E0 91 with 10% ethanol added becomes E10 93.

For E10 87 octane, the ethanol is blended with E0 85 (which, as far as I know, is never sold without the ethanol added).

Back