Found 100% Gas for my OPE toys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our local cash-only stations now carries ethanol-free premium (91).
banana2.gif

The station, Buck's Discount Center, went E10, back when the Montreal refineries for the area switched to E10, in July 2010, so I was excited to see real gas back at the pump, even it was only high-priced premium. I don't go there often, since I usually pay with a credit card, but they now proudly display "Ethanol Free" above the 91 pump handle. (They used to have "Ethanol Free" on the large sign board next to the marquee before the switch)

It was pricey ($4.60/gal.), but two gallons of mix should last me for a while in my weed wacker, chainsaw, and blower/vac.

I'll probably continue using E10 in the Lawn Boy mower mix, since I use much more of it, but may switch it out to E0 for the last run of the season, next year.

OilNerdLicensePlateSmall.jpg

We have it in CNY too (mostly Fast Trac). I tried to run it in the Jeep ... but it just drank it. I only got 13MPG that tank.

I've been trying to find 89 non-ethanol around here.

I wish it were available here...I would fill everything with it, particularly the Packard and the MB...

I thought it was federal law that motor vehicles MUST use E10 only,and not straight fuel.These E0 stations are either breaking the law allowing sales into cars/trucks (and not limiting it to small powersport engines) or the EPA isnt keeping their eyes open.NH had to get MTBE out of the fuel as an oxygenate,and was forced into E10 as a mandate.Yet there are 2 stations selling E0 in the state (in southern congested areas too).

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I wish it were available here...I would fill everything with it, particularly the Packard and the MB...

Too pricey for me to use it for daily driving ($4.60/gal.), but if I had a classic car, I'd fill with it and Sta-bil.

Somewhere in California, someone's probably thinking "$4.60 a gallon -- that's cheap!"

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I thought it was federal law that motor vehicles MUST use E10 only,and not straight fuel.These E0 stations are either breaking the law allowing sales into cars/trucks (and not limiting it to small powersport engines) or the EPA isnt keeping their eyes open.NH had to get MTBE out of the fuel as an oxygenate,and was forced into E10 as a mandate.Yet there are 2 stations selling E0 in the state (in southern congested areas too).

While I'm not lawyer, my understanding is that because I'm not located in a Clean Air Act non-attainment area, there's no requirement to have E10 gas. I live in a rural, lightly populated area of Northeastern NY, just below Canada.

The Renewable Fuels Standard requires ever increasing amounts of ethanol be blended each year, so E0 gas is becoming harder and harder to find, even if it's use isn't required in all areas.

The problem getting E0 gas here is that most gas in the area comes from two terminals (Montreal and Albany). The stuff from Albany is E10, all grades. The stuff from Montreal used to be E0, but switched over in July 2010. Apparently, you can still order E0 premium, but it's not cheap.

The favorate sport in the winter,up where OilNerd lives (Plattsburgh) is sitting in front of the heating oil tank, watching the level go down .

Gets mighty cold up there!!!!!!!!

Many years ago, there was a SAC Bomber base there. Those poor airmen who were not used to the cold FROZE every winter.

(Leaving for Florida in the morning).

There's also a guy in Freedom selling it, last I checked 80 cents over E10.
frown.gif
I'd buy it at that price if it were fresh but my concerns over its freshness have me sitting on the sidelines.

Friday I paid $3.49 a gallon for 100% regular. More and more stations are carrying 100% because there is a demand for it here in south La.

I also bought E10 regular at the same station today for the Caravan, at the just reduced price of $3.90 (cash only).

"Real" regular unleaded at $3.29? That's something I dream about.
20.gif

I was recently at an OPE shop that has a station next door that has one pump that is non ethanol. One of their customers who has a landscaping service was talking about having tried the non ethanol in his equipment and was complaining that his equipment ran hot with the non ethanol gas. I don't know how he determined his air cooled equipment ran hot but i'm wondering if it might be the case. I haven't tried it yet. What do you guys think? Hope I didn't hijack the thread. Thanks

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was recently at an OPE shop that has a station next door that has one pump that is non ethanol. One of their customers who has a landscaping service was talking about having tried the non ethanol in his equipment and was complaining that his equipment ran hot with the non ethanol gas. I don't know how he determined his air cooled equipment ran hot but i'm wondering if it might be the case. I haven't tried it yet. What do you guys think? Hope I didn't hijack the thread. Thanks

I read another similar post, but I must say its never happened to me. I usually run 89 in my 4 cycle stuff, and the highest grade at the station (91-93) in my 2 cycle products, both with the minimal amount of ethanol I can find. I dont spend much time at all in the repair shop.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd

While I'm not lawyer, my understanding is that because I'm not located in a Clean Air Act non-attainment area, there's no requirement to have E10 gas. I live in a rural, lightly populated area of Northeastern NY, just below Canada.

The Renewable Fuels Standard requires ever increasing amounts of ethanol be blended each year, so E0 gas is becoming harder and harder to find, even if it's use isn't required in all areas.

The problem getting E0 gas here is that most gas in the area comes from two terminals (Montreal and Albany). The stuff from Albany is E10, all grades. The stuff from Montreal used to be E0, but switched over in July 2010. Apparently, you can still order E0 premium, but it's not cheap.
lol. I live over by malone. I will look for your licence plate...I want it haha

Originally Posted By: jdawg89

You'll only find it on BITOG. I'm too cheap to pay the custom plate and custom plate renewal fees for NYS.

I am lucky to have a local station about 5 miles from me that sells ethanol free 87 and 91. The ethanol free 87 only runs ~5-10 cents higher than other stations with e-10 around here. No ethanol for any of my small engines.
thumbsup2.gif

So when I'm out that way I know where I'm getting gas! BJ's in Massena is labeled 10% ethanol but I ALWAYS get 3 mpg more per tank there than the rest of the stations around here.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Originally Posted By: jdawg89

You'll only find it on BITOG. I'm too cheap to pay the custom plate and custom plate renewal fees for NYS.

Lol...tell me about it...tryin to bend ya over any way they can...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back