'90s Mobil 1 Million-Mile Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Fix!!! Running the engine day and night will work with ANY oil, and engine will last 1 million +++, even with Bozo the Clown Bargain Brand, SM API certified 10w30.
The need to read Dr. AE H. - the wear occurs in the first few minutes after starting an engine. That is also the time that the oil is most severely punished: having to lubricate while cold shreds the molecules apart and the shearing forces are enormous.

Agree

Oil viscosity is not the only reason for start up wear. The wear is higher till the engine gets close to operating temps. Still the wear is not enough to really worry about unless the wrong viscostiy oil is chosen for freezing climates, then there will be oil related problems

Bozo the clown bargain brand is really a great oil. We were getting out of the VW bug, the other day all 18 of us and we said how smooththe car ran now that we switched over to BOZO.In fact I lookedin the oil cap and it was so clean plus I think I saw balloon animals on the valve springs.The API rating for this oil is not SM instead it is RN which I was told by the tech. means Red NOSE.The UOA looks good, except the sodium was a bit high but Blackstone told me that was from the popcorn.

Quote:
On the other hand if a car holds 5 quarts of oil but uses a quart every 3000 miles, then there is no original oil left at 15,000 miles. Throw a new filter on at that point and it's almost like an oil change. It would be a gross misrepresentation if Mobil claimed 90K out of that sort of scenario. Any synthetic could do that I bet.

Art

This may not be the case. I guess if only the "worn out" components were consumed (hard to figure M1 wearing anything out in 3k) then it would work, but if the consumption was linear across the whole test. It won't work out that way.

It takes something like 24000 miles @ 1 quart/3000 miles to reduce the original sump to below the age of the first added quart in %. Any oil consumed is composed of 20% new oil.

Not a big issue, but it gives a different perspective on routine consumption being a substitute for an oil change.

I figured I would reply to this thread, rather than make a new one. I recently saw this video, and was intrigued about the premise of the test.

They mention the test ran for 4 years, and a million miles. People here are questioning whether the test was valid, because the engine was running highway miles and was generally warmed up the whole time.
However, if you put the math together (failing to take into account the 50K durability test done in the beginning)...
1,000,000 / 4 = 250K annually
250,000 / 365 = 684 miles daily,
Which, if you /24 to get an hourly average = about 29 mph.
Mobil's video states the vehicle was running between 45 and 85mph during their extended test. These figures suggest the car was only running around half the time the test took... Could this suggest a daily cold-start? Or downtime?

It would have been really great if Mobil had used two of these vehicles, one with the Dino of the time, and one with the synthetic product in the video. Then run on the same intervals with the same maintenance, etc. Then tear down at 1,000,000 and see what sort of difference in wear is, to prove whether synthetic was really 'worth it,' or not.
They could also have run the engines till failure, too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back