'90s Mobil 1 Million-Mile Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Tried to post this last night, but computer was down.
Sorry if this has been repeated or implied in another post.

My question is why didn't Mobil 1 run a competitors car with the Mobil 1 car side by side? Lap after lap, mile after mile. After the complete run, tear both engines down side by side and do a comparison. Were they afraid of something?

I'd like to see a modern day test. Mobil 1 verses....oh, let's just say STP engine oil. Seriously, the engine never got cold on the test. There was always that cushion of oil between metal parts at all times. I'm guessing the results of a teardown today would be the same.

Comparing this car to a personal car driven by an Average Joe is like comparing apples to oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I've never used STP oil and I think Mobil 1 is a good oil. The oil is not getting bashed here, just the test itself.

Because we are the only ones that would ask that question (very few), most people will see that video and decide that, that's enough evidence for them to buy the product.

BITOG-ers are smarter than buying into Marketing! (Well most of us are)

Show us real comparative results that blow the competition away and I will be the first to buy the product!
thumbsup2.gif

Not just a BMW engine run for 4 years with no "Control" test engine with another product.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Because we are the only ones that would ask that question (very few), most people will see that video and decide that, that's enough evidence for them to buy the product.

BITOG-ers are smarter than buying into Marketing! (Well most of us are)

Show us real comparative results that blow the competition away and I will be the first to buy the product!
thumbsup2.gif

Not just a BMW engine run for 4 years with no "Control" test engine with another product.

StevieC,
Sorry but there's no way you would,under any circumstance would you buy buy M1 oil. What would you do with all the Valvoline you just bought today?

The way I see it, Mobil 1 proved they could do it, let someone else prove they can. And no matter what you think of that test, a million is a million miles, and that engine looked pretty darn good after tear down.

Johnny,
To take on a test that last 4 years is quite an achievement. I'm sure it was difficult to do. Even if some of you guys think M1 oil is junk you have to give it to Mobil for one heck of a test run. No 4 ball test for these guys.

Last edited:
Does anyone recall the old Castrol SYNTEC commercial where they ran a race car around a track with only one or two quarts of SYNTEC? I think we're talking late 1980s or very early 90s here...

Anyone?

Last edited:
I think if cold starts and more stop/start traffic like simulations were used, it would have taken 10 years or more. It was already 4 years long with majority highway driving. Don't forget that!

Originally Posted By: tig1

StevieC,
Sorry but there's no way you would,under any circumstance would you buy buy M1 oil. What would you do with all the Valvoline you just bought today?

I bought M1 in the past and ran it in my Santa Fe for the first 80K KM. I also have 3 jugs of TDT 5w40 sitting in the garage to try.

I have nothing against them... But at the prices they are selling their products for in Canada, there is better products to be had versus the price IMO. Amsoil isn't that much more than M1 up here and offers better cold flow and less Iron in my UOA's so why not go with them instead? (Not saying IRON = wear but it is nice to see lower metals on the UOA and a TBN that holds up better than M1)

I could see for you, because your prices are more reasonable... But not up here!
wink.gif

I think that that was great marketing, and that they chose a car with a very durable powertrain. That 2.5 liter straight six was an amazingly long lived engine if not overheated. I know of many people who passed the 250k mark on the original auto trannies - at least one with only one ATF change. If I wanted to prove my product, be it fan belts or engine oil, that would have been the perfect platform. As long as it wasn't an A/C component or power window part. . .

The test would not have been quite so impressive if they had used a toyota corolla, which also would have gone the distance with no problem.

It would be interesting to know if any OE parts failed during the test; alternator, battery, bearings, etc. We know they don't normally last 1,000,000 miles - but might in those perfect conditions.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Any dino oil could of easily gone 1 million miles in the same exact *test*

It was really not that impressive if you ask me.

It's easy for you to say that, but no dino has done it. Have they.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back