8K Television is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 (I think) Samsung 60" 7-series 1080p looks as good as my BIL's 65" 4k 7-series (unknown age; ; no idea if his supports HDR; likely a couple of years newer than mine). Either our streaming is smoother or his cable subscription is worse, but sports and the like looks terrible on his TV! I'm not talking about only a connoisseur of TV's kind of difference, but a plainly obviously lower quality on his set. While watching 4K digital animations, his blows mine out the water!

I honestly can't wait for the day (probably ten years from now, hopefully!!!) when we replace our 60" 1080p display with a 65" 4K Super Duper HDR (HDR 27?), micro-LED TV. By then a 65" TV will likely be akin to a 49" TV today, so I can probably get what I'm looking for from the lowest-end Samsung or LG and pay something like a grand. I'm OK with that!

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I will stick with our 2011 vintage 26 inch LCD tv till it dies and then get something else, probably around the same size. Huge TV's don't appeal to me at all.

26 inch? Do you sit at your kitchen counter?

Sorry, that was a friendly ribbing. There's nothing wrong with keeping old tech if it works for you, but there is something to be said about having a comfortable size screen to view. Take my mother, for example. After years of basically having a 20-something inch television in the kitchen as her main viewing TV, she moved to a new home. It had a perfect place to mount a TV over the fireplace, and I strongly encouraged her to buy a new set to match.

Believe me, she himmed and hawed, but eventually bought a bargain-basement Roku 50" for peanuts. I had suggested a 55" or even a 60" due to the viewing distance and available space, but I cut my losses and didn't argue further. She's never mentioned missing more screen real estate, of course, being as she's not even close to interested in having the biggest or the best. However, she has commented that she can't believe how much clearer things look on a larger screen. Specifically, she's mentioned that she doesn't feel as uncomfortable watching it for periods of time like before. I directly attribute this to less eye strain due to the proper ratio of viewing distance to screen size. She's also embraced streaming media, God love her!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
They're getting a little crazy with the word Quantum, no quantum entanglement or quantum computing or quantum encryption. I wonder how they'll tie in superstring theory.

I suppose it's to be expected, they've worn out some of the metals, gold, silver, platinum, titanium. I guess Plutonium doesn't have a nice ring to it.

To be fair, "Quantum" is both a bit vague, and a bit of a marketing term. The actual technology is "Quantum dot". It's real, but has adopted several names and abbreviations by various manufacturers. I firmly believe that (actual) quantum dot displays will continue to improve, as there are several major players embracing the technology and it has proven benefits.

I will stick with our 2011 vintage 26 inch LCD tv till it dies and then get something else, probably around the same size. Huge TV's don't appeal to me at all.

+1. Matter of fact. The wife and I will not get a new TV when our current samsung non 4k tv dies

We still are looking at an older insignia 50 inch plasma. I thought it would have died by now. How important is refresh rate i.e. 120 vs 240 hz? Is refresh rate more important with larger tv's?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Sorry, that was a friendly ribbing. There's nothing wrong with keeping old tech if it works for you, but there is something to be said about having a comfortable size screen to view. Take my mother, for example. After years of basically having a 20-something inch television in the kitchen as her main viewing TV, she moved to a new home. It had a perfect place to mount a TV over the fireplace, and I strongly encouraged her to buy a new set to match.

Believe me, she himmed and hawed, but eventually bought a bargain-basement Roku 50" for peanuts. I had suggested a 55" or even a 60" due to the viewing distance and available space, but I cut my losses and didn't argue further. She's never mentioned missing more screen real estate, of course, being as she's not even close to interested in having the biggest or the best. However, she has commented that she can't believe how much clearer things look on a larger screen. Specifically, she's mentioned that she doesn't feel as uncomfortable watching it for periods of time like before. I directly attribute this to less eye strain due to the proper ratio of viewing distance to screen size. She's also embraced streaming media, God love her!

They're getting a little crazy with the word Quantum, no quantum entanglement or quantum computing or quantum encryption. I wonder how they'll tie in superstring theory.

I suppose it's to be expected, they've worn out some of the metals, gold, silver, platinum, titanium. I guess Plutonium doesn't have a nice ring to it.

To be fair, "Quantum" is both a bit vague, and a bit of a marketing term. The actual technology is "Quantum dot". It's real, but has adopted several names and abbreviations by various manufacturers. I firmly believe that (actual) quantum dot displays will continue to improve, as there are several major players embracing the technology and it has proven benefits.

More of a marketing term. If you look up the term quantum, it refers to a single particle like an electron or photon. Quantum dots are just small particles in the nanometer range, but still particles, not single particles. Like those Platnium credit cards which don't have any platnium...

Originally Posted by 14Accent

I have to agree. My great Aunt Sue replaced her furniture-television with a 19" display (that's right, NINETEEN!!!) as her main/only TV seven or so years back. My parents offered to buy her something closer to the 40-50" range, but she refused adamantly. She watches the news and some other shows daily, and, while she doesn't say she needs glasses, I'm sure she struggles with the tiny screen at 10'+. How do I know? Well, I can't make out any of the captions on-screen, and fine shots are indiscernible at the distance she watches at. Doesn't make any sense, but it's what she agreed to let my parents buy.

To be honest, I'm tempted to upgrade her to my 27" Asus 2K monitor, just to give me an excuse to upgrade myself to a better 32" 2K monitor with Freesync capability for gaming....

Originally Posted by blupupher
I am happy with my old 46" 1080p TV. I spend too much time staring at it as it is.

You're pretty much making the argument FOR a slightly larger, better display, which are super cheap now-adays. 55" and below is budget size territory.

Unlike some of our friends, who have 55"+ screens in their bedrooms, we very recently chose a higher-level (Samsung 8-series), CHEAPER 49" 4K TV for our master BR. We only really hunker down in our master BR (which is large, btw) when it's really cold out, to save money; we'll probably do the same if we have a heat wave, since we'd save a lot more money being VERY comfortable in our master BR during such times). As much as I have in the past been against TV's in the BR, spending more time in one heated room (our BR), vice the family room, which is open to the whole first floor, will pay for the TV in one heating season! Besides, when she's watching her reality baking shows, I play video games on our desktop PC or read Wired magazine or something.

When it makes sense (e.g., we feel like it, it's more temperate or we have guests), we use the bigger 1080p. 60" family room TV, which has a large soundbar and 10" SRS sub-woofer, making it a much more enjoyable space for watching movies or dynamic TV shows.

My wife, with a new-born, watches a lot more TV than usual. Me, I watch maybe an hour of TV per day. When I do, though, I like to enjoy myself. Spending more money for a higher-quality and/or larger screen is good for two reasons:

1. I get to choose what I want to watch (recently, Band of Brothers, on Blu-ray and The Hobbit) and get to enjoy it more on a large, high-quality screen

2. The limited overall viewing means our TV's will likely last forever, barring any mfg defects

I suspect 8K will be as popular as 3D. A bomb BUT, it will replace 4K I guess, yet no one will know the difference.

You cant even get TRUE 4K through streaming, You can't easily rent a true 4K disc so most people have no clue how good 4K is. In fact, if the day ever comes that 8K streaming becomes reality, I bet its dumbed down to what true 4K should be and no one will know the difference, except the profits for the companies selling the service. :eek:)

In the average home, 4k will be as good as 8k. Agree, it will help drive down the cost of 4K and the smart people will stay with that.

Much like Smart phones, 4K, 8K, (16K in the future?) will all pretty much a big yawn now. Bad news for the manufacturers as they struggle for a cause to make you feel your TV is old and outdated.
We have hit a plateau in electronics, the sizzle is gone, not sure what the next big thing will be, electronic are a dime a dozen, like blue jeans.

Last edited:
65" LG OLED 4K is good enough for me... huge difference when watching 4K content. Even broadcast TV is hit or miss, depending... when I first got the TV the movie Total Recall was on I was disappointed. Newer shows and content seems to show up much better. Anything off Netflix or Amazon, especially 4K, HDR, DV looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back