8K Television is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 CES is here, and Sony, Samsung, LG, etc are introducing their 8K TVs. Is 8K content even available?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-launches-8k-tvs-bigger-screens

Sony's first two 8K TVs are LCD models appearing in the flagship Master Series in a 98-inch screen size (pictured) and an 85-inch size. Both feature 8K-capable HDMI 2.1 inputs to access 8K content from future 8K playback devices. Until 8K content is available, the TVs also upscale any video content to near-8K picture quality.

Sony went with plus sizes in 8K so people could perceive 8K's higher resolution at typical viewing distances, said Robert Brennan, product technical manager for home entertainment and sound. To maximize the visual impact of a 4K TV, viewers should sit no farther away than three time the screen's height, but for 8K viewing, viewers should sit no farther than 1.5 times the screen's height, he explained. With an 85-inch 8K TV, therefore, a viewer should sit no farther than six feet from the screen. "Beyond six feet, you fall back to 4K viewing," he said.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/association-formed-nurture-8k-ecosystem

A group of consumer electronics companies today announced the formation of the 8K Association (8KA) to nurture the nascent market for 8K products and content.
Stated goals of the organization include:
• Promoting 8K TVs and 8K Content to consumers and professionals
• Helping educate consumers and professionals about the 8K ecosystem
• Helping secure native 8K content for members
• Encouraging service providers (especially internet providers) to develop 8K offerings
• Facilitating communication within the 8K ecosystem to help with commercialization
• Developing initial technical requirements for 8K input signals
• Developing initial 8K TV categories and minimum specifications for image quality

I'll be happy when they finally convert my cable TV to all HD channels. After all these years, I can't believe that there are a lot of standard definition TVs out there.

Originally Posted by Throt
Am I understanding this correctly? Sitting 6 feet from an 85" TV? Sounds awful! Getting a headache just thinking about it

Are you actually going to get an 85" TV?

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
I'll be happy when they finally convert my cable TV to all HD channels. After all these years, I can't believe that there are a lot of standard definition TVs out there.

Only problem with cable TV "high definition" is that it's terribly compressed and doesn't actually look that good. It's at MOST 1080i, although the newer boxes will up-convert to 1080p.

As much of a tech savvy guy as I am, I'll hold off on the 8k nonsense. HDR is the tech to watch, and what you really want. Your eyes can hardly distinguish between 1080p and 4k resolution as-is, until you get into the 65-75" range, and even then you have to be sitting crazy close for it to matter. However, properly calibrated HDR will give you amazing highlights and detail that you will notice from ANY distance.

I sit about 12' from my 5 year old, non-HDR 60" 4k television and it still looks amazing. There's a discernible difference between watching standard 1080p Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray, DEPENDING on the source. I have 4k discs that left me feeling disappointed, and 1080p discs that look stunning (think the original Planet Earth series, which also is an amazing 4k purchase). People seem to forget that no matter how great the panel, how great the processing, your video reproduction will only look as good as the material from which it was sourced.

Last edited:
I have had a 75" 1080p Samsung since 2015, and it is starting to look "smallish". Not too interested in 8K yet.
Some key specs in the next TV.
These are minimums.

4K with minimum 60fps capability
240 motion
85"
1000 nit brightness
192+ local dimming zones
HDR 10
Dolby Vision
Best smart connectivity
sub $4000 price.
Not sold on OLED being better than LCD

High definition is hard to market for cable TV companies. For them it is a compromise between HD and more channels.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I've seen video on YT that makes a convincing argument that even 4K is not warranted for the human eyes. So why 8K ?

Exactly. I saw that as well.

When I see 4K content it just shows how garbage the CGI placed in a lot of movies is as it becomes quite a bit more obvious over lower resolution content. Peoples faces look like they have turned up the magnification showing makeup lines and flaws that you wouldn't even see in real life...consequently 4K looks more fake than in real life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KGMtech
I've seen video on YT that makes a convincing argument that even 4K is not warranted for the human eyes. So why 8K ?

An 8K master can cover a gigantic screen think Vegas style signs 100 feet across but still high res, and you can use a down-res for 4K and HD deliverables.

Not super practical and somewhat unnecessary the Japanese are pushing everyone to develop this standard so were all working on it.

UD

I am not convinced we need this. Still it will come. It will help drive down the prices on 4K. My 65 inch TCL 4K TV makes some of my 1080i content look pretty amazing after the up conversion process.

Originally Posted by Danno
I have had a 75" 1080p Samsung since 2015, and it is starting to look "smallish". Not too interested in 8K yet.
Some key specs in the next TV.
These are minimums.

4K with minimum 60fps capability
240 motion
85"
1000 nit brightness
192+ local dimming zones
HDR 10
Dolby Vision
Best smart connectivity
sub $4000 price.
Not sold on OLED being better than LCD

I like the way you think. You've listed some impressive, but not unobtainable specs. I'm in the same boat, as much as I love to drool over demo footage being played on the OLED's at the store, I just can't get on board with the tech. Emissive display's certainly have their perks (think plasma), however the shortcomings are real. I don't mean burn-in, either. OLED manufacturers are STILL having trouble turning out panels in large quantities with a low QC failure rate, and it shows in the price. It's all about yield.

Personally, I think there's a point of diminishing return with the size of LCD panels. Once they reach a certain size they become unwieldy, regardless of how thin and light they are. If I were to go over a 75" screen, I'd be seriously considering front projection for that $4k budget. Not including the screen, of course. I do realize, however, that front projection just isn't feasible for many (the majority) of households.

I'll probably be in the market for a TV this spring, and the news out of CES is looking very promising. This, in particular, caught my eye:

"As Vizio's new flagship, the P-Series Quantum 4K HDR TVs have added an "X" to the name, and along with it comes Ultrabright 2900, which offers a mad 2,900 nits of peak brightness for strikingly bright high dynamic range (HDR) highlights. The TVs also offer Quantum Color, the latest generation of Vizio's quantum dot technology, which are essentially tiny particles that glow when you shine light on them to offer improved color vibrancy and accuracy.

On top of blazing brightness and better colors, the P-Series Quantum X models also offer up to 480 zones of dynamic, full-array local dimming, which should allow for richer blacks with less haloing and better contrast to further enhance that brighter screen. The TVs also offer Dolby Vision HDR to go along with HDR10 for versatility across all your HDR content and a bezel-less, aluminum design with diamond cutting. The P-Series Quantum X will be offered only in 65-inch and 75-inch models."

Credit: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/vizio-tv-p-series-quantum-x-m-series-v-series-ces-2019/

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I like the way you think. You've listed some impressive, but not unobtainable specs. I'm in the same boat, as much as I love to drool over demo footage being played on the OLED's at the store, I just can't get on board with the tech. Emissive display's certainly have their perks (think plasma), however the shortcomings are real. I don't mean burn-in, either. OLED manufacturers are STILL having trouble turning out panels in large quantities with a low QC failure rate, and it shows in the price. It's all about yield.

Personally, I think there's a point of diminishing return with the size of LCD panels. Once they reach a certain size they become unwieldy, regardless of how thin and light they are. If I were to go over a 75" screen, I'd be seriously considering front projection for that $4k budget. Not including the screen, of course. I do realize, however, that front projection just isn't feasible for many (the majority) of households.

I'll probably be in the market for a TV this spring, and the news out of CES is looking very promising. This, in particular, caught my eye:

"As Vizio's new flagship, the P-Series Quantum 4K HDR TVs have added an "X" to the name, and along with it comes Ultrabright 2900, which offers a mad 2,900 nits of peak brightness for strikingly bright high dynamic range (HDR) highlights. The TVs also offer Quantum Color, the latest generation of Vizio's quantum dot technology, which are essentially tiny particles that glow when you shine light on them to offer improved color vibrancy and accuracy.

On top of blazing brightness and better colors, the P-Series Quantum X models also offer up to 480 zones of dynamic, full-array local dimming, which should allow for richer blacks with less haloing and better contrast to further enhance that brighter screen. The TVs also offer Dolby Vision HDR to go along with HDR10 for versatility across all your HDR content and a bezel-less, aluminum design with diamond cutting. The P-Series Quantum X will be offered only in 65-inch and 75-inch models."

Credit: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/vizio-tv-p-series-quantum-x-m-series-v-series-ces-2019/

They're getting a little crazy with the word Quantum, no quantum entanglement or quantum computing or quantum encryption. I wonder how they'll tie in superstring theory.

I suppose it's to be expected, they've worn out some of the metals, gold, silver, platinum, titanium. I guess Plutonium doesn't have a nice ring to it.

I will stick with our 2011 vintage 26 inch LCD tv till it dies and then get something else, probably around the same size. Huge TV's don't appeal to me at all.

I have a 55" Samsung 4K with the HDR turned on.
I cant see any difference between 1080p and 4K on Amazon prime.
Maybe its my old eyes!

In a major expansion of its 8K selection, Samsung introduced four new 8K Q900-series LCD TVs, one with a massive 98-inch screen. They join the $15,000 85-inch 8K Q900 TV available since late 2018. The three other new 8K models have 65-, 75-, and 82- inch screens. All models feature AI-based 8K upscaling and 4,000-nit peak brightness, or twice that of some of the company's 4K TVs.

Within the 8K lineup, the 98-inch Q900 features 100% color volume, direct full-array backlit local dimming, and audio room-error correction to tailor sound to a specific room's acoustic characteristics and TV location. An upgraded outboard HDMI switching box will be available at an unannounced date to add 8K-capable HDMI 2.1 inputs to Q900 models. Prices were unavailable.

With the additional pixels, the 8K sets will deliver "extreme detail," revealing details within details, images with defined edges, texture that makes concrete look like concrete, and background-object details that stay in focus to increase depth, a Samsung spokesman told Sound & Vision. The enhancements will be visible to viewers at a distance up to 12 feet on larger screens. In U.S. living rooms, the average TV-viewing distance is 8 to 12 feet, with six to eight feet quite common, the spokesman said.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...ig-screen-tv-options#xsDpkKgV0mPI5KwT.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back