89 octane in 2-stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curiosity finally won out, and I bought a can of Trufuel. Dumped what was left in the tank back into the jerry can, and refilled with the new stuff. Shoot, It started right up and ran much more smoothly. Very noticeable at full throttle, with regular gas it would still stumble a bit. Even the exhaust was less smelly. Don't know if the better running was the higher octane, lack of ethanol, or both, but maybe that stuff is worth $6/quart.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I've got an Echo saw that calls for non-ethanol 89, too. The only E0 I can find nearby is 87, and it runs fine on that. There's a station at a lake further away, and I think they have 90. I might try that.

The manual says E0? Or does it say max E10?

It does say maximum E10. I've never used anything but E0 in it, though.

I have no reliable sources of ethanol free gas in my area. I use 93 octane E-10 mixed with SuperTech 2 stroke oil and Startron stabilizer to make 48:1 2 stroke fuel. I have not had any problems with starting or gumming of any of my 2 stroke equipment, although I do make use all of them at least once every 2 weeks. My weed wacker and leaf blower get the most use.

If you are serious about taking care of and tuning your 2 stroke equipment; I recommend you get the 8 piece Hooai carburetor adjusting tool kit from amazon or ebay. The set is great and allows you to fine tune your carburetors once you get your long term choice of fuel picked out.

Depending on how often you use your 2 stroke I would recommend trufuel. I made the switch and it is a night and day difference in terms of performance and reliability

I use premium only in my 1985 Honda snowblower and 1987 Toro mower and in my 2006 Poulan weed whipper. I never have any issues with starting, never have carb issues. Pure gas is the only way to go with OPE as they tend to be much more fussy than cars when it comes to fuel.

My generator and trimmer want 91 octane, my mower only wants 87. So, I have a 5 gal. can that I put about 3 gal. of 93 and 2 gal 87. Calculates about 90.6 octane. Everything runs great.

I use 93 in my 2 strokes so I don't worry about the fuel sitting for a couple of months. I also mix it with Amsoil Saber @ 50:1 and a little added stabilizer.

I run E0 90 octane in all my 2 and 4 stroke OPE from my riding mower and Generator to my chainsaw and weed wacker, never had an issue with starting any of them even after prolonged storage-on original plugs @ 5-6 years and all looking good. Riding mower gets plugs every 3rd year even though it probably doesn't need em, but it's 13 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back