88 Lesabre 3800 V6 Chevron/Delo mix 4266 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this UOA! I started doing a similar mix with Rotella-T 15W-40 and Havoline 10W-30. (50/50) Will try Delo-400 next time but Rotella is what I had at the time.

Impressive UOA!

I've been using Delo 400 in my wife's Isuzu Rodeo and have been impressed...Had at least 1 quart consumption with M1 10W30 and 15W50
(Even after several OCI's)...Switched to Delo and consumption completely stopped...Quieter and smoother running as well...

Havoline is next on my list when I switch to a lighter weight for the winter.

OK I have two 3.8s 87 Riviera and 93 Park Avenue supercharged. What is this oil anaylsis and where do you go to have it done? What are GM coolong tabs? I was losing anti-freeze this spring but problem has gone away this summer. 125,000 miles on the riv was losing a quart a month during march and april into may....about every 30 days I had to add some to recovery tank when cold...no problems now?

why mix 15-40 with 10-30? should I do that?

Molybedum? Is this the additive my dad put in this Riviera after he bought it? He put a Moly oil he bought out of a magazine! Came in 8 ounce bottles and was blue in color I think? maybe black?

EDUCATE me please?

I just bought some of the GM coolant tabs today at the dealer. I'm going to see if they will stop my intake gasket leak until I can save up the money to get the gasket replaced again. I will probably use them again after I get the gasket replaced as a preventative type measure.

I wonder how often you are supposed to use these. The package doesn't say.

Wayne

Switched to Delo and consumption completely stopped...Quieter and smoother running as well...

Havoline is next on my list when I switch to a lighter weight for the winter. Why if this oil produced these results why not leave it alone
dunno.gif

paymenow, lots of questions there. We had an 87 Riv unti last year, still running great, now over 200k miles, it's a great car. I would try the cooling tabs if your having a problem, don't forget that it won't solve everything. Have you replaced the timing chain on your 87 yet? It's important that the original plastic sprockets be changed out, they do not last long.

-T

Well I'm at about 6k on this next batch of Delo/Chevron and it's getting cold so I will change it this week. Anyone think I should do a UOA? It's getting hard to justify a $40 UOA on a $5 oil change.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Well I'm at about 6k on this next batch of Delo/Chevron and it's getting cold so I will change it this week. Anyone think I should do a UOA? It's getting hard to justify a $40 UOA on a $5 oil change.

-T

If you view these things in purely economic terms, absolutely true. Now, I know a guy who dumps more money than many people make in a year into his boat. About four years ago, two new engines cost him about $18,000 apiece! Unusual and extreme??? Very much so. Of course, he does this because he loves fishing from an ego trip boat, and of course, because he can (as in that old joke, you know the one...).

So, all I would say is weigh the enjoyment of having knowledge far superior than most folks do along with the cost, and decide on that basis.
cheers.gif

I would just in case due to the past history of K and NA. I would skip the winter UOA from the fuel dilution in your winter UOA last year.

Just get the basic $20 analysis, it will inform you if there's any problems and how that combo is doing in your engine.

My UOA for my GM 2000 3.8L SC V6 are basically the same as this one at 7500 miles or so, main difference is the copper, still high and coming down but the above sample has 5 times more miles then mine and copper is non existent on above sample. These 3.8L are really very easy on oil, I went 12,000 miles between changes on previous one and going to up 12,000 OCI on current one now that I have some trends to convince me it is okay to to so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back