81k mi 2008 Acura TL - Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W20- ~5k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
i was encouraged to get a UOA based on this thread. here are the results. The last part of the test looks different than other UOA's that I've seen, anyone care to explain what ST, OXI, NIT, SUL, W, A are?. To my uneducated eye it looks like everything is decent, please let me know your thoughts. I was worried about Si since a previous owner replaced the OEM filter with a "cold air" intake and was considering replacing with an OEM set-up.

Code

OIL Castrol Edge5w20

MILES IN USE ~5k

MILES 81k

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/18/20 7/21/07

Wear Metals:

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 18

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 64

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE n/a

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 8

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 21

SILICON 8

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 959

MAGNESIUM 1181

PHOSPHORUS 670

ZINC 849

BARIUM 0

Oil Condition/Particle Count:

ST 0

OXI 1

NIT 16

SUL 26

W T

A N

V100 9.1

V40 50.0

VI 165

As a side note I have a strange ticking/knocking sound that i was wondering if this UOA would help me identify. Using a stethescope it sounds like the sound is coming from the top end at cylinder 5. I have adjusted all the valves and they are all in spec. Oil pressure light goes off immediately on all start, including cold starts. One thing that throws me is that on cold start the sound doesn't begin for ~10 seconds to a minute, (the colder it is, the longer it runs before the ticking begins) on hot start the ticking begins immediately. When i tested it without the serpentine belt the sound was louder. Based on this UOA i'm thinking that the sound is not an internal sound based on teh low wear metals? any other thoughts?

thanks,

Oil Analysis TL 18_12_20.JPG

I have the same year Acura TL. Not sure what your sound is but -- I do know the fuel injectors are quite noisy on these J-Series motors to start with.

Dale

I had read that as well, I swapped the #5 with #4 or #6, and the sound still seemed to come from #5 with the stethoscope. It does sound like the sound is tied to rpms and it sounds to me like it is 1 tick/knock per rev so it would make sense if it was something like an injector or valve...

Probably the EGR or some other solenoid. Both my J Series cars do exactly what you describe. Never worried about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Seems like high iron for a Honda engine. I'd definitely replace the airbox with an oem unit.

agreed, came here to post that. i would expect iron to be single digits on a 5k mile run. what filter is being used?

the intake is likely fine provided it is proven to not create an air/fuel ratio anomaly by being installed. some intakes require a specific engine tune to accommodate the increased airflow. a reading of 8 PPM silicone would not concern me.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Probably the EGR or some other solenoid. Both my J Series cars do exactly what you describe. Never worried about it.

I may have to look into that. I have a thread on an acura forum and this was never brought up so it is something to try. I try not to worry about it, but i does bother me not knowing.

Originally Posted by ScottyB
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Seems like high iron for a Honda engine. I'd definitely replace the airbox with an oem unit.

agreed, came here to post that. i would expect iron to be single digits on a 5k mile run. what filter is being used?

the intake is likely fine provided it is proven to not create an air/fuel ratio anomaly by being installed. some intakes require a specific engine tune to accommodate the increased airflow. a reading of 8 PPM silicone would not concern me.

Thanks guys, I thought the 2-4ppm/1k mi was a reasonable range from my reading here. Once i get closer to 4ppm/1k mi that is getting out of the regular for honda J engines? If so, good to know. The filter was a wix XP 57356 filter. Replaced with fram ultra.

I was thinking that since silicon is fairly low i wasn't going push getting an OEM airbox unit, but will keep my eye open for a used unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back