75W-80 Alternatives?

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5l with a 6 speed manual that is right around 75k miles. According to the manual it calls for 75w-80 oil, which as I've discovered is not very common.
I can get Redline on Amazon for just over $18/qt, Mazda from the dealer for $28/qt or possibly buy Ravenol directly for the same price as Redline but I haven't figured out shipping costs for that.
I live in the Seattle area and rarely see temps dip into the teens during the winter.
Would it be a bad idea to use the much more common and cheaper 75w-90 oil?

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5l with a 6 speed manual that is right around 75k miles. According to the manual it calls for 75w-80 oil, which as I've discovered is not very common.
I can get Redline on Amazon for just over $18/qt, Mazda from the dealer for $28/qt or possibly buy Ravenol directly for the same price as Redline but I haven't figured out shipping costs for that.
I live in the Seattle area and rarely see temps dip into the teens during the winter.
Have you looked at what Amsoil has to offer ?

You don't have to use the exact viscosity just as long as it's the right GL which is most likely GL-4 or even GL-3 for that manual. I've heard it's bad to use GL-5 since it isn't "yellow metal compatible" I've used slightly thicker GL-4 instead in my old manual and it was just fine. Just look for something no thicker than 90 with a the GL-4 but just in case see what gear oil spec it requires in your manual. Since the web tells me to use atf but that cant be right.

Last edited:
According to the manual it calls for 75w-80 oil, which as I've discovered is not very common.

...but it isn't that uncommon either. There's Redline MTL, Ravenol MTF-2, Castrol Transmax V
75W-80 and some more. I have used both Ravenol and Castrol with nothing but great results
and I'd bet Redline will perform excellently as well.

Yes, personally I think it would. A 75W-90 GL-4 is roughly twice as thick as a 75W-80
at virtually any temp your transmission will see. That's clearly noticeable when shifting
in particular at lower temps. I don't see any need to go thicker, I don't even see any
advantage in going thicker. Availability is a very poor argument, given you aren't under
any pressure.

I've used slightly thicker GL-4 instead in my old manual and it was just fine.

Perhaps since it isn't as cold where you live?

Just look for something no thicker than 90 with a the GL-4 ...

I've never even heard of any GL-4 MTF thicker than 75W-90.

For the few times that you'll need to change your MTF, I would bite the bullet and go for the Redline or OE fluid

Valvoline synchromesh might be a good alternative

Here's a thread on Dedicated MTF Fluids

just get an 80W

Thanks for the help. I'll stick with the recommended 75w-80 GL-4. That being said, aside from Amazon i'm having trouble finding places locally or online that has this type.

Amsoil does not offer an oil in this weight.

I would stick with the recommended viscosity - and Ravenol is available on Amazon, which makes shipping a non-issue...

summitracing carries it.

You want the right viscosity and additives for good syncho engagement and shift feel.
I would not just throw any random gear oil in there.

besides OEM and redline.
MOTUL MOTYLGEAR 75W-80 is also excellent but even harder to find.

summitracing carries it.

You want the right viscosity and additives for good syncho engagement and shift feel.
I would not just throw any random gear oil in there.

besides OEM and redline.
MOTUL MOTYLGEAR 75W-80 is also excellent but even harder to find.
This Motul seems to be a good one, and it saves me money even with shipping over Amazon for the Redline.

you have a local source?

redline

Perhaps since it isn't as cold where you live?
I've never even heard of any GL-4 MTF thicker than 75W-90.
I've seen the GL-4 spec on 110 labeled bottles but i think they were racing oils. The coldest I've driven my 5spd was around 33f but i was going no more than 45mph as well but he also mentions that temps rarely dip below 20f

As I have stated many times, before you change your MTF, it only makes sense to pull a sample, send it off for analysis, and put the results here on BITOG. By looking at the general chemical signature and the viscosity, we can make recommendations for aftermarket replacements.

The reason being is that the Grade Charts https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/ cover a "range" of viscosity, so you cannot really know the actual viscosity of the OEM's XXWYY fluid until it's tested.

you have a local source?

redline
Summit racing will ship to me cheaper with taxes and shipping than amazon currently for the Motul.

amazon isnt free? I thought free shipping over 35? even if not prime.

EDIT: WOW summit racing has an awsome price on that motul... sheesh.

14.33 for one but 10 pack is 170+ price mistake?

amazon isnt free? I thought free shipping over 35? even if not prime.

EDIT: WOW summit racing has an awsome price on that motul... sheesh.

14.33 for one but 10 pack is 170+ price mistake?
Yeah, I was surprised by that. I have Prime but this seems to be an even better deal.

It would not be a bad idea, it would be a terrible idea. Find and use a lube for synchronized manual transmissions (different from a common 'gear oil'), like the Red Line fluid you mentioned, an Amsoil fluid like another mentioned, or Mazda's fluid.

It would not be a bad idea, it would be a terrible idea. Find and use a lube for synchronized manual transmissions (different from a common 'gear oil'), like the Red Line fluid you mentioned, an Amsoil fluid like another mentioned, or Mazda's fluid.
I'm going to get either the Redline 75W-80 or the Motul 75W-80 at this point. I just need to decide which one.

I'm going to get either the Redline 75W-80 or the Motul 75W-80 at this point. I just need to decide which one.
I've really liked both in different vehicles... and they are great high quality products..
I'd go motul at that price without a second thought.

Back