75-140/145 Synthetic Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i've been meaning to change out the gear lube in my dad's F-150 for some time now, and it Ford Recommends the 75/140 or 145 can't remember which.

the only place i can find this is at Walmart which has the Supertech Syn for like 10 bucks a quart or Advanced where it is 14 to 15 bucks a quart.

otherwise i've found the 75w90 in mobil for much cheaper like 7 or 8 bucks a quart.

i've been leaning towards the Supertech because its not badly priced and it is the right weight.
plus buying the Valvoline at 15 bucks a quart when i know it will need at least 2 1/2 or so.

any takes on the Supertech?
would it be fine to go with the 75w90?

"any takes on the Supertech?"

Personally, I think it will work just fine. BUT if I were doing it, I would fork over the extra $$ & get either Motorcraft 75w140 or Amsoil Sever Gear 75w140.

"would it be fine to go with the 75w90?"

As long as the vehicle is not used for towing, IMHO the 75w90 (synthetic only) would be fine to use.

thanks for the response.

he does use it from some moderate towing so i guess i'll have to find the 140.

anyone know how much the Motorcraft costs? around here that can only be bought at dealerships.

Motorcraft 75w140 will cost you approx. $20/qt. at the dealer, & that's the only place to buy it AFAIK. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 should be around $15/qt. or less.

Specialty Formulations, Amsoil, or Schaeffer can all fill this bill. All available through committed site sponsors.

A little work to order, then just sit back and let it arrive on your porch.

One final note; Check AutoZone. The ones around here carry (but are usually out of) Mobil 1 75w140. It is $15.99/qt. If your AZ carries it, but is out, they could order more for you.

Yep won't buy diffy fluid from Autozone or O'Reilly's, that is just way too high a price for M1 gear lube. Go with RP and you it has the friction modifiers already in for LS, nothing extra to add. NAPA might be less in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back