7 Years & 40k Service/OCI

Unfortunatley it's a generational thing. I'm 28 and most of my friends just jump in their car and as-long as the car gets them from A to B they aren't interested by whats going on under the bonnet. I think it's a side effect of cars becomming so reliable and not requiring constant tinkering and maintenance to be reliable.
This is why I made my 16-year-old change the oil with me a few weeks ago. We discussed not just the "how" but also the "why". As much as I want to be grumpy about younger generations I can't help but feel my generation is the one that dropped the ball and didn't teach (force) the younger generations to have a clue.

This is why I made my 16-year-old change the oil with me a few weeks ago. We discussed not just the "how" but also the "why". As much as I want to be grumpy about younger generations I can't help but feel my generation is the one that dropped the ball and didn't teach (force) the younger generations to have a clue.

I've a 3 and a 1 year old. I doubt they will ever own a car with a conbustion engine unless our Defender is still about. However, certainly with my 3 year old I always invite him out to help and get him passing me tools and talk him through things. I don't think he understands much but he enjoys spending time with Dad. Hope I can keep the interest up as they get older.

They didn’t get away with anything. The damage is done and will continue to fester. The main rear seal isn’t going to stop leaking.

I bet the 15w40 oil will cause more damage in poor lubrication.

plus you are spending extra labor with flushing ingredients to try to “correct” the error of their lazy ways.

if they had just had 3-4 times of maintenance, they would be in much better shape.

ICE vehicles aren’t going away folks. It’s very clear that the media and your professors fail to teach you what kind of condition the electric grid is in across the US.

Its going to take 25-40 years of serious, expensive upgrades and such to handle 30-50% of this country being on electric vehicles.

Let me also tell you that there’s a serious shortage of qualified electrical engineers to design the changes, an even worse shortage of skilled linemen, welders, pipe fitters, heavy equipment operators and other trades to perform these upgrades.

But good luck.

ICE vehicles aren’t going away folks. It’s very clear that the media and your professors fail to teach you what kind of condition the electric grid is in across the US.

Its going to take 25-40 years of serious, expensive upgrades and such to handle 30-50% of this country being on electric vehicles.

Let me also tell you that there’s a serious shortage of qualified electrical engineers to design the changes, an even worse shortage of skilled linemen, welders, pipe fitters, heavy equipment operators and other trades to perform these upgrades.

But good luck.

In all fairness...
It isn't just the "media and professors". The auto manufacturers themselves are informing the public of this direction, whether feasible or not, that's the situation.

In all fairness...
It isn't just the "media and professors". The auto manufacturers themselves are informing the public of this direction, whether feasible or not, that's the situation.
Understood. I think the manufacturers are playing the game to stay attractive to a particular sector of the crowd.

California is not the only one that will be in the news about power capacity. Folks are fleeing that place like crazy, demand for capacity is going up in many other areas.

Understood. I think the manufacturers are playing the game to stay attractive to a particular sector of the crowd.

California is not the only one that will be in the news about power capacity. Folks are fleeing that place like crazy, demand for capacity is going up in many other areas.
That's fair.

They didn’t get away with anything. The damage is done and will continue to fester. The main rear seal isn’t going to stop leaking.

plus you are spending extra labor with flushing ingredients to try to “correct” the error of their lazy ways.

if they had just had 3-4 times of maintenance, they would be in much better shape.
I agree. They were spared the consequences of their neglect, so most likely they won't learn a thing even if the OP was emphatic about the need for car care. It is very strange to me how so many people think that machines never need any upkeep. But if they weren't getting the oil changed, someone must have been airing the tires, so that is curious. And they are very lucky this engine does not burn much or any oil, otherwise it might be completely roached.

Unfortunatley it's a generational thing. I'm 28 and most of my friends just jump in their car and as-long as the car gets them from A to B they aren't interested by whats going on under the bonnet. I think it's a side effect of cars becomming so reliable and not requiring constant tinkering and maintenance to be reliable.
I think it's both. Younger generations are not being taught and/or their apathy is being tolerated. Kinda the same thing.
But yes it's also modern vehicles with low maintenance requirements that may "encourage" some of these neglect situations.

Probably about 20 years ago I changed the oil in my father in laws truck for him after he told me his oil light was coming on sometimes. I checked the oil and it wasn't showing on the dipstick. He was older and had misread the sticker thinking it had only been 1K miles since it's last oil change, it had been 10K miles on conventional oil and probably not a very good grade of conventional. When the oil was draining there were chunks of sludge/grit draining with the oil. The grit may have been what was left of the bearings. It surprised me that the truck was still running at all when I saw what was draining from it.

Bit of an odd reply from yourself.

The engine was running sweet as a nut when it left my driveway. I'm unsure what damage has actually been done. Maybe some interals have worn quicker than they otherwise would have, but damage? None that I could see. It's likely the main seal would have started leaking anyway. How many main seals fail on cars that are maintained perfectly? I know of a few!

I don't understand why you think the 15w40 would cause more damage? In a country where it never gets below -5°c (23°f) or so it will get where it needs to be in the same time as the specified 5w30. The oil I used was ACEA A3/B4 rated for long intervals (TBN of 10 or above). Being a 15w40 it is inherantly very shear stable and should have reasonable NOACK numbers. For the planned 6 month interval, it will do just fine.

I totally agree the car should have had 3 to 4 oil changes in the same space of time. However, it seems they have got away with it this time.

Last edited:
Bit of an odd reply from yourself.

The engine was running sweet as a nut when it left my driveway. I'm unsure what damage has actually been done. Maybe some interals have worn quicker than they otherwise would have, but damage? None that I could see. It's likely the main seal would have started leaking anyway. How many main seals fail on cars that are maintained perfectly? I know of a few!

I don't understand why you think the 15w40 would cause more damage? In a country where it never gets below -5°c (23°f) or so it will get where it needs to be in the same time as the specified 5w30. The oil I used was ACEA A3/B4 rated for long intervals (TBN of 10 or above). Being a 15w40 it is inherantly very shear stable and should have reasonable NOACK numbers. For the planned 6 month interval, it will do just fine.

I totally agree the car should have had 3 to 4 oil changes in the same space of time. However, it seems they have got away with it this time.

Tell ya what- you make sure to report back in 3-4 years after another 40k miles of pretty much no maintenance and the constant use of 15w-40 oil.
I’m honestly interested in the results.

Crossland filters. I wouldn’t put those on a lawn mower never mind a car this has a history of no maintenance. Why not buy Mann? Euro car parts own brands are the lowest of the low for quality.

Back in the early 2000’s my brother had a 1989 mazda mx6 He was not diligent about checking the oil and it would run low and it would always make a ticking noise when it did. I would tell him check the oil its low and ticking. He would say it all ways ticks. He would check the oil and it would be low. The new oil would eventually break down the sludge in the crank case and the ticking would go away just to return later.
I was changing the oil one day and it was ticking so I checked it pre oil change and it was low. I put a quart of atf in and let it idle for 1/2 hour then I changed the oil and the ticking stopped right away. He had heard the car when he dropped it and off and again when he picked it up. He finally realized that he needed to check the oil in his cars and did so consistently.

I don't know about 25 years.
The power grid doesn't burn to the ground everytime people cook dinner on their electric stoves, or run their vacuum cleaners at the same time the electric dryer and the air conditioner are running. The amp load of a normal electric car aren't that much greater than those appliances.

The real issue is where will all the people who live in apartments going to charge their electric cars?
Once they can figure that issue out, only then will you see increased electric vehicle ownership start to skyrocket.

some of these stories just amaze me , i would like to hear more , great entertainment for sure, and as stated b4 , some people are losing sleep worrying about when there 1st change should be, im one of those . i grew up on a farm , where maintenence , was done daily on some equipment , my buddy , when his kids would have friends over , would give them a tire gauge , and tell theme to go check the air pressure in tires , just to start them off on the right foot
there are so many people that just dont have a clue
also on a side note , what is the typical maintenence schudule on an electric car ??

Back