7.6L V12 outboard motor. Why?

Reading this thread makes me glad I have a 4 hp
2 stroke
If the pull cord breaks (and it did) it’s open and you just wrap a rope around

Runs great and likely will continue to last trouble free for another 8 decades.

Lots of big stuff out there now with outboards.....wouldnt be "my" choice(Those big HP Mercs sound sooooo good!!) , but I'm not the one buying :LOL: Someone I know ordered this a couple months ago, should have next summer.

I don't know much about boats and am under the impression that anything with an outboard motor is an entry level lower priced example. Anything high end and luxurious will have the engine mounted inside the boat, not hanging off the tail end. So what's the point of this 1200 pound beast? Wouldn't anything worthy of that much power have inboard motors?
Anything outboard will be entry level? What?

I'm with you.
Those boats with all those outboards look like crap.
Big boat hidden engines way classier.
One of the problem with large inboard power plants (diesel or Petrol) is that they Often cause a lot of vibration and noise. With outboards, this is largely eliminated. Obviously for you mega yacht, you'll have a power house in the centre of the boa. But for the Miami crowd, charter fishing boats or Exporters from Colombia. this is a great option.

Nope.

And most boats big enough for them have between 4-6 of them hanging off the back. Whole other world of boating.....
What I do not understand is the weight distribution with one or more heavy outboards hanging off the transom. I have a VP I/O and that and the fuel tank forward of the engine put the weight distribution where I think it needs to be. But heavy outboards hanging off the transom makes no sense.

What I do not understand is the weight distribution with one or more heavy outboards hanging off the transom. I have a VP I/O and that and the fuel tank forward of the engine put the weight distribution where I think it needs to be. But heavy outboards hanging off the transom makes no sense.
Yeah, can't disagree with your reasoning but it just doesn't work out that way. I/O engines and outdrives are monsters and heavy.

Outboards lighter, more nimble and some articles point out the inboard boats (not I/O) sit lower in the water then the O/B fitted boats.
Interesting subject, tons of reading on the internet. Im fascinated myself but I ALWAYS longed for going back to the days of when I had an outboard, more now so than ever. Ive had a lot of boats in my life smaller sized anywhere from 18 to 28 feet was the max. From the time I was 18 years old to now, many decades later. At first but this was decades ago, I loved when I got my first Merc I/O, it was so quiet, clean burning, fuel efficient, no mixing oil and gas, just loved it.

But todays O/B are light years ahead of where they use to be and being older now since moving south, nearby lake we just have a modest 18 ft Chaparral (most likely would be called a 19.5 now a days *L* - gosh I WISH I had an O/B on that. The new ones are fuel efficient, quiet, clean burning and EASY as heck to maintain.
and if... like almost my whole life before moving south if you boat in salt water, an outboard isnt a converted automobile engine but designed form the ground up to be salt water friendly.

Last edited:
Beyond a john boat or small center console, O/B's are bloody f'ugly, there I said it! I can almost hear my neighbors on the Cape getting their torches and pitchforks.

IMHO, there is just something off-putting about a graceful, proportional curved hull with 2-4 big powerheads sticking out back above the transom like a goiter.

But they do make sense especially, for salt water. You get more useable hull and floor, less vibration, service is easier; tightly packed powerhead is more than offset by access. I'm warming up to them. My Better Half, aka SWMBO, fell in love with a Grady this past Summer and more than once as we are walking away from her, I've looked back and held my thumb up to block the stern...... :) That said, the engines on our boat get free flywheels every ~80 hrs. (at a certain rpm range) for life from Yamaha, so that access comes in handy.

Last edited:
IMHO, there is just something off-putting about a graceful, proportional curved hull with 2-4 big powerheads sticking out back above the transom like a goiter.
I tend to agree from an external perspective. However, once onboard some of the better designs, it's not really noticed. As the engines are far behind ya.

S428_MM902882-LG.jpg

That's got to be noisy as hell compared to having the engines in the basement and sealed off from the deck.
I recently watched a boat test on YT and the rig had three V-12 Mercs. All three were in gear and idling. The captain was right in front of the engines and had to explain that they were all running, that's how quiet they were.

I recently watched a boat test on YT and the rig had three V-12 Mercs. All three were in gear and idling. The captain was right in front of the engines and had to explain that they were all running, that's how quiet they were.
At idle, yea. Get out on the lake at 3,000 rpm cruise and compare the sound level.

At idle, yea. Get out on the lake at 3,000 rpm cruise and compare the sound level.

Compared to what? Both large petrol and diesel inboards/stern drives are loud and create a lot of vibration since they are attached to the stringers. I question if you have been around any modern outboards recently. They are nothing like their older two stroke brethren.

They are not bad at all, except when the propellers and exhausts are near the surface or maybe even exposed occasionally in big seas.

For some reason I/O's seem the worse for noise and vibration, maybe because of the outdrive mounted to the transom as opposed to engine mounts and a prop strut on an inboard, or the way modern outboards are mounted.

Slightly O/T, but before I knew anything about modern boats whenever I thought of outboards, my mind immediately flashed to a series of childhood memories involving my dearly missed Uncle and Dad, and old john boat, the distinctive sound of an o/b being pulled and not starting...and cursing, lots of cursing. Good days :)

Compared to idle. Duh. "The captain was right in front of the engines and had to explain that they were all running, that's how quiet they were."

You have shown your total lack of knowledge in reference to modern outboards multiple times in this thread. Thank you for your contributions. I'm done here.

Back