When is enough, enough? Never, apparently. Mercury marine boasts it's new 7.6L V12 outboard.

For those who haven't been following the large outboard market, everything comes second to status. Many owners have no use for big boats and big power, but God forbid they be seen in anything under 40ft, with quad 350s. Well, since everyone loves big numbers, some companies have stepped up to satisfy your request, if you pocketbook is large enough. Seven marine has a marinized GM LFA outboard putting out 627hp. It's been dominating the hyper-outboard market for years. Mercury marine decided they wanted a slice of the pie, so they're countering with a naturally aspirated, 7.6L 600hp V12. This new power head will be mated to a two speed transmission, and counter rotating props. You can bet that there is plenty of headroom for horsepower in this rig, as future power figures are guaranteed to rise, once 600hp per screw is deemed "merely adequate".
Few things in life better than a horsepower war!

Not quite my taste in boats and equipment, but I hope they sell many....and continue to employ many! Pretty impressive though.
My thoughts reflect yours it seems. The center console hyper-boats have always come across a bit vulgar to me. However, I am all for trickle down technology and innovations, as well as growing companies and the employment that come with it.

They can't be hiring. Who is buying? I thought the economy was in shambles.
My friends in the industry around here say its crazy; can't keep good used boats in stock and some new ones are backordered.... Rack and dock space full for years out. A lot of the economy is still cranking along, coupled with a high market, there is a lot of money out there and what else can you do?? Vacations? Eat out? Cruises??? No.... Might as well go boating.

My friends in the industry around here say its crazy; can't keep good used boats in stock and some new ones are backordered.... Rack and dock space full for years out. A lot of the economy is still cranking along, coupled with a high market, there is a lot of money out there and what else can you do?? Vacations? Eat out? Cruises??? No.... Might as well go boating.
Yep! Boats, RVs, camping, motorcycles, MTB, etc. All industries profiting from our current situation. Economy in my area seems to be in decent shape as well. Very glad for it!

I love that Mercury Verado's supercharged L6 has up to 400 hp (153 ish hp/liter), and this new V12 is 7.6L. That means if they massaged the V12 to the same power density, it would come in at 1,169 hp. 🤯

Last edited:
These huge outboards seem to be getting more HP every year. But they are very expensive.

And what about the swim platform a nice I/O allows?
Outboards have the advantage of being able to lift out of the water in salt water environments. That being said, I bet this V12 outboard goes for more than $100k each. Difficult to justify, in my opinion.

I/O is great in freshwater, but can be a liability in salt.

They can't be hiring. Who is buying? I thought the economy was in shambles.
Not only are they hiring, Boston Whaler is expanding its facility, can't keep up with demand!
In addition a new boat builder has just started production near here. Can't think of the name though.
SpaceX is also building their booster refurbishing plant nearby.

Back