66 GTO mfg line...

The easiest way to tell the difference between a 66 and 67 is, the 67 had a chrome mesh grille vs black plastic, the fender GTO emblem is mid fender on the 66 and low on the 67, the tail lights are split on the 67. There are more, of course. The 67 used the 400 and TH400. Great cars!

Pontiac was using the Super Turbine 300 2 speed like Oldsmobile before the TH400 right? It's interesting that Cadillac & Buick had access to the TH400(ST400) in '64, And Chevrolet in '65 but only behind the new Mark IV 396.

Pontiac was using the Super Turbine 300 2 speed like Oldsmobile before the TH400 right? It's interesting that Cadillac & Buick had access to the TH400(ST400) in '64, And Chevrolet in '65 but only behind the new Mark IV 396.
Interesting...
The 66 GTO AT was a 2 speed; in my ignorance I assumed it was a beefed PG with transmission cooler lines. I have a 65 4-4-2 with rhe Junk-Away. My understanding is they are not very good. Leaks like crazy. I would love a better trans but this car is one of the most original copies left. I have the build sheet from Fremont.

The 67 Vette still used the 2 speed; I am not sure about the 68. My 68 is the wide ratio 4 speed gearbox.

Interesting...
The 66 GTO AT was a 2 speed; in my ignorance I assumed it was a beefed PG with transmission cooler lines. I have a 65 4-4-2 with rhe Junk-Away. My understanding is they are not very good. Leaks like crazy. I would love a better trans but this car is one of the most original copies left. I have the build sheet from Fremont.

The 67 Vette still used the 2 speed; I am not sure about the 68. My 68 is the wide ratio 4 speed gearbox.

BOP Powerglide's are VERY rare, The Powerglide was engineered & manufactured by the Chevrolet Division for it's internal use. If Hydramatic fell behind.....Chevrolet did make runs of BOP Bell Powerglide's.

The TH350....Even though it carries the Turbo Hydramatic prefix was a joint venture between Chevrolet & Buick Divisions, 10 years later Hydramatic would use it as a foundation for the 700R4.

Oddly, and something I never understood, the 66 Big Block Chevelle was only available with the 2 speed power glide as an automatic. The TH400 was standard for the Chevelle big block cars starting in 67. IIRC BOP got the TH400 in 66 but not the Chevelle.

Back