62TE Transmission - Caravan's without Dipstick Refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by demarpaint
The Dorman stick works well. However there are a lot of DYI ways of checking the level on the Chrysler transmissions that came w/o a dipstick. I've seen makeshift dipsticks made with long zip ties. All it has to do is bottom out in the transmission pan and have 5mm markings from the lowest part of the zip tie up about 70 mm. There are articles on the web on how to measure the temperature of the ATF and the chart for the level. A PITA for sure but not that bad to service once you understand how it is done.

Yeah lots of folks are just scoring their engine oil dipsticks and using that. They just make a note of where it is cold when it has been sitting overnight and use the ambient air temperature that day and do it that way.

In order to establish the proper level in the case of both my Jeeps the engine must be running, idling in park. That's the short version. I wouldn't rely on the cold level and checking it after it sat overnight with my vehicles.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
In order to establish the proper level in the case of both my Jeeps the engine must be running, idling in park. That's the short version. I wouldn't rely on the cold level and checking it after it sat overnight with my vehicles.
Totally agree. Just saying what other folks are doing and they seem to get by ok. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Originally Posted by JC1
Thanks Stevie for the info.

cheers3.gif

Thanks for the info, especially the chart. It's good to know there is a good amount of tolerance between the min and max levels. I marked the oil dipstick with three levels, cold and engine off, cold and engine running, and finally hot and engine running. Worked out quite well and I don't have to worry about misplacing the special dipstick.

But with the chart you provided I can use a ruler to see if the level matches the chart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Thanks for the info, especially the chart. It's good to know there is a good amount of tolerance between the min and max levels. I marked the oil dipstick with three levels, cold and engine off, cold and engine running, and finally hot and engine running. Worked out quite well and I don't have to worry about misplacing the special dipstick.

But with the chart you provided I can use a ruler to see if the level matches the chart.

Glad to help everyone out there...
grin2.gif

Earlier this year I had my indi do a pan drop on our 2013 Grand Caravan 62TE at ~75k. His on line service info says to refill with 5.3 qts. Works just fine. Seems so simple.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Good to know. I am looking at buying a 2017-2018 Caravan in the next 6 months or so, so will definitely be needing this info.

In the video he talks about setting up the fluid level to be in the middle of the Maximum and Minimum marks as a sweet spot but my 2018 Caravan came filled from the factory at the Maximum mark. (Yeah I already checked it LOL)

I suspect it's because some evaporation is normal with the fluid over such a long service interval and not having it at the maximum mark to begin with could leave it under filled as natural evaporation occurs.

My dad had a leaking trans-pan gasket on the last service and it leaked some fluid before we caught it. (Gasket had a hair line cut in it we didn't notice) It was under filled by 1 qt (below the minimum mark) we found and it had some harsh shifting as a result. We changed the gasket on the pan and refilled it and it went back to shifting normally. They are really finicky about fluid level just so you know.

His has 300K on it and it shifts like it did when I drove it the first day as my fleet vehicle before I bought it off lease for him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oldmoparguy1
Earlier this year I had my indi do a pan drop on our 2013 Grand Caravan 62TE at ~75k. His on line service info says to refill with 5.3 qts. Works just fine. Seems so simple.

That's what I did when we owned our 2013 DGC at around 40K miles. A shop near me only charged ~$79 for a pan drop, filter change and refill. No extra charge for the nice gloppy gray RTV seal job either. I have no idea how they determined level other than the trans was flawless until we traded it in at ~70K miles.

Steve, thanks for posting that info and part numbers! Definitely a help for the DIYers.

Last edited:
I just drive around the block for 10 minutes and use the 120F on the chart, fill to the middle of the safe zone. The safe zone, from what I've experienced gives you about 1/3 of a quart in either direction. You'd have to be foolishly way off your estimated trans fluid temperature to screw this up.

These dipsticks are avail on Ebay or elsewhere for less than $10 shipped. The cheap clone I ordered off Ebay is about 4 feet long which is rather cumbersome, but I suspect that's so it is compatible with other transmissions with MUCH longer dipstick tubes. After doing this a couple times, I've realized it's just as easy as any Hydramatic or other transmission that comes (or came) factory equipped with a dipstick. I agree the trans should come with a drain plug, but I fixed that problem by welding one in. I compare volume of fluid drained versus what is added to correct mark, and I've been spot on each time. I'm able to get about 5 to 6 quarts replaced with a pan drop & filter replacement.

Haven't heard anything bad about the 62TE, other than some shudder/torque converter problems when they were first introduced The trans itself is reputed to be pretty solid.

Some good information to add to this thread....

Transmission Pan with drain plug - Dorman Part Number: 265-833 (Amazon carries it)
Transmission Pan Gasket - Fel-Pro Part Number: TOS 18757 (Normally the pan is sealed with silicone but I find the gaskets work better)
Transmission Filter (Mopar) - 68018555AA (Rock Auto Carries it) I wouldn't use any other brand

Found this great video on the updated Low Clutch Drum on the 62TE that Chrysler made to prevent issues. Interesting stuff.

I haven't done the filter change yet and will probably head to the dealer for that one but for the drain/fill here is my method:

1) Let van and new fluid sit in the garage over night.
2) Pump out ATF via the dip stick hole for the dip stick that isn't there using a vacuum pump.
3) measure amount of fluid.
4) add same amount of new fluid.
5) clean up.

This method is fairly foolproof if just doing drain/refill and you haven't had any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back