61k - Time to replace coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the green coolant. I think a mechanic and / or Nissan dealership told me I could go to 100k before replacing coolant but I thought I'd ask here. :)

If it's traditional green coolant I'd change it now. Even if it's EL coolant it's now 6 years old so I'd still change it now or when the timing belt needs changing.

It has a timing chain and doesn't need to be changed at all.

Should I do a coolant flush when I replace coolant, and must it be green coolant? I hope it's not a dumb question. :)

No such thing as a dumb question. Yes, do a flush. Not sure what coolant is best, but someone here will know. For your final fill, I recommend using distilled water with your coolant mix.

If it were mine I'd use PEAK Global EL coolant. It's an excellent coolant at a fair price. I'd have no problem running it 5 or 6 years and 75 to 100K. If I couldn't find it I'd use G-05.

I've still got to do mine in my 2005 Corolla. Factory fill has 145k on it but I'll get it done next week (vacation).

I'm going Peak Global for it.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've still got to do mine in my 2005 Corolla. Factory fill has 145k on it but I'll get it done next week (vacation).

Bill

So Peak Global is ok for Toyotas?

Thanks for the replies. I'll get this taken care very soon.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Loopie

Bill

IMO, Peak Global is good for Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas etc..and Buicks, Chevys, Fords, Dodges etc..
It is an EL coolant that does not use 2-EHA and should work well in virtually any car.

Originally Posted By: Loopie

Bill

I guess I'll find out!
grin2.gif

Yeah its all good to go.
01.gif
I've done some research and I feel its safe and a good product.

I REFUSE to pay $30-$40 for something (Toyota coolant) that I can do for $11. And in the end be safe and well protected.

Take care, Bill

I REFUSE to pay $30-$40 for something (Toyota coolant) that I can do for $11.
Yeah, just had timing belt service done on my 01 Tacoma. The Toyota coolant was over $25 a gallon and it required 2 gallons, absurd. He flushed the Prestone AMM LL I had been using. It's ok because a new water pump goes with the service. But, next flush I too refuse to pay that price for coolant, so I will look for something else.

To the OP, I have an 03 Altima and you should read your maintenance guide. Mine said 60k or 4yrs wcf for factory fill. My manual says "green". Lately I have seen more of the green conventional in parts stores like AAP and AZ. I used Peak Long Life to replace Prestone All Makes. I'm comfortable because Nissan subsequent drain/flush say 30k or 2yr wcf. My system looked clean.

I wouldn't wait till 100k. Use Peak Global Life or Green Conventional if you can find them. With a recommended 30k/2yr interval you should be safe. I went almost 3yrs with no issues.

Bill

Bill, I read your post some time back about deciding which coolant to use in your Toyota. I recently changed the timing belt and water pump on my 99 Avalon. When I removed the water pump, I couldn't believe the inside. The metal was like a mirror. I had never seen metal so clean. I replaced the thermostat, and the inlet tubing was the same. The red coolant looked new. I have over 200,000 miles on the car with never a problem in the cooling system. I decided an additional $20 was pretty good insurance, so I paid up for the Toyota red.

Mark

Thanks for the report Mark!

But sadly unless we ran the same test with another coolant and saw something different we then could MAYBE come up with that Toyota Red is worth the $$...

Since my Corolla has a chain unless I have to fix a water pump problem I think I will not see a difference.

Also its THREE times more expensive to run the Toyota fluid. I *MAY* be making a mistake here but hopefully I'm not.

I'll report here either way!
cheers3.gif

Thanks again, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

I've been running Peak Global in my Accord for the last few years and the inside of the radiator looks new. I would bet that the engines internals and the water pump area do also.

I was just thinking about doing something about the rad fluid in both of our 06 Toyotas, and I popped in here to see Bill's post. I haven't done much in the way of coolant flushes/changes before, so I hope my question isn't an elementary one that I should already know.

Rather than do a complete flush, I thought I'd just start draining the radiator and refilling every other year or so. My question(s)...Can you mix the Toyota fluid with fluids like the Peak Global that Bill is going to use? Or would it be better for me to learn how and do the complete flush?

TIA~

I'm going to; (this week.. Really
33.gif
)

Drain.

Fill with distilled water.

Start engine.

Wait 2 mins and stop engine.

Drain.

Refill with distilled water.

Start engine for 2 more minutes. Stop.

Drain.

Refill with distilled water and drive for 15 min. Stop.

Allow engine to cool down, drain and refill with 50% of capacity with coolant. Add distilled water to bring up to cold level and after a week add more water to make overflow tank at proper level.

That is the way I've done it for over 30 years. If the vehicle had a flush kit, then just start the engine and turn on the hose. Drain and refill with 50% of capacity of coolant.

It was a lot easier back when everything was cast iron.

I'm NOT a fan of mixing coolants.

Bill

Bill,

For the first two fills with distilled water, do you have to run it longer to get the thermostat to open up and get a good mix?

JT

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Bill,

For the first two fills with distilled water, do you have to run it longer to get the thermostat to open up and get a good mix?

JT

I just want to make sure whatever is left in there is pretty diluted. Running it for 15 mins after the 1st 2 drains/fills with straight distilled will make sure not very much of the old stuff is still in there.

Yes, with the thermostat opening before the 15 mins can not hurt!

Take care, Bill

I REFUSE to pay $30-$40 for something (Toyota coolant) that I can do for $11. And in the end be safe and well protected.

Take care, Bill

Bill, I just called my local Toyota dealer and found out that the Toyota pink long-life coolant is only $20.89 per gallon. Have you checked the price in your area? It might not be as much as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back