6 vs. 9 vs. 12 year water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

One thing to take into consideration is the plastic vs brass drain. Some plumbers won't flush the ones with the plastic drains, the plumber I used for my annual inspection and some small repairs I needed said they are fragile and their corporate policy was to not flush the ones with the plastic drain.

Depending on your space and electrical panel capacity did you look into a whole house tankless? I wanted one of these to free up some space in my laundry room (and potentially save some $$$) but my electric panel is pretty much maxed out as is so would have to upgrade my panel too.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Some plumbers won't flush the ones with the plastic drains, the plumber I used for my annual inspection and some small repairs I needed said they are fragile and their corporate policy was to not flush the ones with the plastic drain.

IMO this is a good policy!

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Some plumbers won't flush the ones with the plastic drains, the plumber I used for my annual inspection and some small repairs I needed said they are fragile and their corporate policy was to not flush the ones with the plastic drain.

IMO this is a good policy!

You can just replace them with a brass one.

Check your local HD or Lowe's for scratch and dent or returned units. I picked up a 9 yr/50 gallon Rheem gas unit earlier this year at HD a forklift had wacked for 25% off. Full warranty just didn't look pretty. No one knows but me, the mice and the rat snake in my basement.

Last edited:
My water heater is at the 25 yr mark and i'm keeping a close eye on it, Lowes carries the A.O. Smith line of water heaters which mine is.
cheers3.gif

Off the topic my Great Great Uncle was the founder of the AO Smith company . From what I'm told he was a bit eccentric . Did not have much to do with family .

When I moved into my house 10 years ago, I found the Rheem water heater was installed in 1987. I immediately bought a new one but never installed it. I figured I'd just keep it on stand by until the old one gives out. Its in the basement with a drain. I flush it twice a year and have replaced the pressure relief valve once.
The old one is still going strong at 32 years old. They don't make them like they used to.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Joe_H
When I moved into my house 10 years ago, I found the Rheem water heater was installed in 1987. I immediately bought a new one but never installed it. I figured I'd just keep it on stand by until the old one gives out. Its in the basement with a drain. I flush it twice a year and have replaced the pressure relief valve once.
The old one is still going strong at 32 years old. They don't make them like they used to.
grin2.gif

Wow thats crazy! Any rust at all on the connections or otherwise? I hope to get a good run out of the new unit whenever we decide to install.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by Joe_H
grin2.gif

Wow thats crazy! Any rust at all on the connections or otherwise? I hope to get a good run out of the new unit whenever we decide to install.

There is one spot of rust on the exterior jacket, but that shouldn't be a big deal as long as the inner tank doesn't rust out. All connections are still solid. The bottom of the tank is clean.

Whatever you get, if you plan on staying in the current house for a long time, break the anode rod(s) free before installation and apply pipe thread sealer when reinstalling so you don't have to use a lot of torque.
It will make removing the rods much easier when it's time to replace them.

Originally Posted by Malo83
My water heater is at the 25 yr mark and i'm keeping a close eye on it, Lowes carries the A.O. Smith line of water heaters which mine is.
cheers3.gif

Numerous internet sites (yea, I know) claim that the Lowes water heaters are actually American water heaters with A.O. smith labels. A.O. Smith bought American water heater and they made Whirlpool heaters that seem to have a mixed reputation. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....s-rebranded-whirlpool.70719/#post-524043 ...Something to be confirmed, I suppose.

The more I study water heater brands, the less confident I become that we can even identify a "best brand". They all seem to have pros/cons and cycles of reliability issues.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by Malo83
cheers3.gif

Numerous internet sites (yea, I know) claim that the Lowes water heaters are actually American water heaters with A.O. smith labels. A.O. Smith bought American water heater and they made Whirlpool heaters that seem to have a mixed reputation. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....s-rebranded-whirlpool.70719/#post-524043 ...Something to be confirmed, I suppose.

The more I study water heater brands, the less confident I become that we can even identify a "best brand". They all seem to have pros/cons and cycles of reliability issues.

I always just got mine at Home Depot, they used to be GE now they're Rheems I think. They all make to a particular spec. The ones at Home Depot have the plastic drain valve, but you can switch it to the brass one if you're willing to pay for the fitting. Easy peasy on the swap though, bring the old one to Home Depot and they give you a credit so you end up getting a new tank with a new warranty. Some of the plumbers will just replace your tank with a new one, but it doesn't come with a new warranty.

I did hear about the horror stories of the Whirlpool ones so I never went to Lowes for water heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back