6.7 powerstroke cab off repair work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the gasket was nicked at the fire ring by whoever built the engine. Ford doesn't do any remans on their own I don't think. They have a authorized contractor carry them out. Probably the same for GM, Mercedes has Detroit Diesel in Mexico do their remans.

Some coating failure too - but how? Exhaust gases in the coolant eating at it? Did you go with OEM Ford or Fel-Pro gaskets on this repair?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Look for the spots of missing sealant between the fire ring and the water jacket

Weren't there bits of it left on the block and head?

Everything is ford OEM except for the head studs. The combustion gases ate away at the sealant under boost until it got through to the water jacket. Likely from the head bolts flexing and not having a perfectly flat surface. The failures were all on the head side of the gasket

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by mattd
Look for the spots of missing sealant between the fire ring and the water jacket

Weren't there bits of it left on the block and head?

There are some remnants yes but you will be able to see where the breaks in the sealant were. Sealant transfer looks different from that of combustion gas pssing through. The block side of the gasket are OK it's the head side that has the problem

To add to my other post, I put a pressure gauge on the cooling system and routed the gauge into the truck. I could manipulate the cooling system pressure with my right foot to the point of the cap venting.

Last edited:
Truck is up and running well here are some pictures sorry there are less than tear down was working quickly to get it together. They had to take .006" off one head and .008" of the other they found the same that I did with several blown spots on one bank and a couple on the other. The studs were very hard to find they are on a huge back order through ARP. Parts list was also a bit higher than expected as a handful of other things were changed on the engine and the chassis

B0099A78-C60D-4AB8-87CA-BC4450E492C6.jpeg

EFCBB654-EC3A-4ADB-978D-E2131B855FA8.jpeg

54D7528D-DDD3-4FBD-A630-4D76F47D88E2.jpeg

EA3233AB-9D87-491E-88F9-5CA19BB0AFFF.jpeg

1BF7E3BB-7F84-4BAD-9548-7B39D35B60F5.jpeg

898FC6A9-9A84-42F0-8B03-C1735AF53096.jpeg

1E8F1173-FB3A-482B-8614-88D0A2F55C57.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back