6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by super20dan
international desighned the 6.0 and 6.4 to just get tru the warranty period. ford is the victim here but should have recalled every one of these ever made. trouble was there was no fix for this engine for several years. it was private industry like powerstroke help that came up with the fixes. this whole debacle is just mindblowing that people continued to buy these trucks when the problems became known. this is prob the biggest scandle to ever hit the auto industry. people died in ambulances that couldn't get to the hospital. notice how you seldom see a ford ambulance any more?

Not quite. The 6.4 is absolutely a disposable engine, but the 6.0 was an attempt to keep up with the quickly changing emissions standards that the 7.3 would never be able to meet. It was rushed into production to avoid EPA penalties. Diesel emissions regulations have been the major cause of complexity and failures in most diesel trucks since 2003 or so. Manufacturers don't have a realistic test window to make sure these systems work, so the consumers become the test mules.

international desighned the 6.0 and 6.4 to just get tru the warranty period. ford is the victim here but should have recalled every one of these ever made. trouble was there was no fix for this engine for several years. it was private industry like powerstroke help that came up with the fixes. this whole debacle is just mindblowing that people continued to buy these trucks when the problems became known. this is prob the biggest scandle to ever hit the auto industry. people died in ambulances that couldn't get to the hospital. notice how you seldom see a ford ambulance any more?

No, Ford cranked up cylinder pressures, despite being told by IH that they were over the safe limit. This is 100% on Ford.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

No, Ford cranked up cylinder pressures, despite being told by IH that they were over the safe limit. This is 100% on Ford.

No, it's not. International had most of the same issues with the engines even in detuned form, many of which were found in school busses. A buddy of mine is fleet manager for a school bus company.

he isn't an idiot and is an honest guy. you guys who bought 6.0 are the idiots

Took longer than I thought it would for people to start talking out of their behinds.....What exactly makes him honest? Mechanics/Machinists/Fabricators down in the trenches were bulletproofing these before him & his "Big Dog" sales pitch is just that!

I take what Powerstrokehelp says and add it to all the other input sources. I agree with some of what he says, and disagree with other things.

IMG_5454.jpg

If you want a reliable engine, Detroit is the only way to go.:) Forget Cummins and Navistar.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOgPjSE8sc&t=3s

On a side note...

The engine is back in the truck and have the engine about 80% together in the chassis. No pictures yet I have been very busy with another truck this past week and could touch this engine until yesterday. I was tied up with a 6.7 for a couple of days with replacing turbo, up pipes, exhaust manifolds, hand cleaning the obscene amount of carbon in the upper and lower intakes as well as a PM service.

I'll get some picture of the 6.0 on Monday.

Last edited:
bill hewit from powerstroke help has been fixing 6.0 ,s since the very beginning of the problems. he got into this when it became an issue with the ambulances and is one of the first to come up with solutions . he has built his whole biz around powerstroke repairs and I would consider him one of the best in this area. would I buy a 6.0 even after bulletproofed? no. a bad desighn is still a bad desighn.

bill hewit from powerstroke help has been fixing 6.0 ,s since the very beginning of the problems. he got into this when it became an issue with the ambulances and is one of the first to come up with solutions . he has built his whole biz around powerstroke repairs and I would consider him one of the best in this area. would I buy a 6.0 even after bulletproofed? no. a bad desighn is still a bad desighn.

There are plenty of anecdotal experiences about the 6.0L being pretty durable once properly fixed. The list of upgrades and superseded parts for them is however, eye-opening.

My best friend is the most heavily certified diesel guy I know, worked at an International dealer for quite a while and now is a fleet manager for a school bus company. Many of those busses have the VT365 (6.0L). To say he has a lot of experience with the engine would be a gross understatement.

He bought, years back, a 2005 F-250 with the 6.0L, knowing full-well what he was getting into. He, with that in mind, still put a tuner on it. It ate two EGR coolers, despite the replacement units being the upgraded International ones, and so it received an EGR delete after that, which also had the benefit of increasing fuel economy. Cooling system was overhauled and he removed the G05 in favour of what was used in the heavy trucks. Fuel system neglect from the PO resulted in it needing injectors, which were replaced and never were a problem spot again for him with proper maintenance. The IDM went out of it and then the branch tube adapter on the back of the engine failed. The replacement for that was a completely different design, which was interesting. A flash upgrade from Ford very early on in his ownership of the truck deleted the "quiet idle" feature that had been a selling point by Ford when they first started using the engine, but I believe it caused injector failure.

So, after he did ALL the upgrades, the truck was very reliable, but had he not had the facilities in which to perform the work and access to most of these parts at cost, it would have been an extremely expensive endeavour. Would I own one of them? If I knew ALL of the issues were fixed; if it had been completely gone through including the EGR delete, yes. If not? No, I don't have the time or resources to perform that kind of work, most of which is made much easier by removing the cab.

He got rid of the SD years ago and immediately regretted it. He went shopping for another diesel truck last year and ended up getting an older Dodge (2006) with the Cummins because going through the process of upgrading another 6.0L was just too much work. But he did regret getting rid of the one he fixed. Emissions equipment is the achilles heel of all modern diesels which is why he bought an older one.

Some more progress today, worked probably 5-6 hrs on it today.

CF771E17-330A-427B-88D7-12F166A2DA27.jpeg

63E25912-1B61-44E0-BFDA-87D16DE88D46.jpeg

0B2D21C4-C36B-447C-8B5A-F555383790C9.jpeg

1A572CD4-44F1-40B9-AFCE-0B0645A85C30.jpeg

A64C3593-0F31-45F5-B6D9-67F13EE3920B.jpeg

C63D766E-3C09-4114-8109-9278247E882F.jpeg

F213DF33-9261-4E93-BDD3-DEE919C1784C.jpeg

I love all the 6.0 haters... makes its that much more enjoyable when I blow by their pretty Dodge or Izuzu (duramax) in my 15 year old Ford towing twice the load.
smile.gif

Get rid of all the shortcomings on them very early in their life and they are very reliable, powerful work horses. Delete the EGR right away, drain and flush that junk G05 coolant and put a real ELC diesel coolant in. Install a coolant filter and monitor your oil temps. Change your oil regularly and use a quality HDEO, use all Motorcraft filters and drive it hard! Babying these trucks kills them. They aren't meant to be mall crawlers or for gramps to ride to lowes on the weekends. We tow a 3 horse LQ, loads of hay, cars, and anything else I can hook to the B&W gooseneck. I have all original injectors, never had a valve cover off and never has she left me stranded even on 975mile journeys from VA to Florida.

Oh, and get the FICM reprogrammed with the ATLAS40 flash and keep fresh batteries in them!!!

the 6.0 is very easy to hate. just the fact the cab has to come off is a deal breaker. esp if its an escursion

Have you ever actually owned or worked on one? Or just base your decision on heresay and what is posted on the internet? I would guess you have zero real world experience with them. And just to be clear the cab does not HAVE to come off, it makes it FAR easier and quicker to get the job done. But it can be done can on.

the 6.0 is very easy to hate. just the fact the cab has to come off is a deal breaker. esp if its an escursion

Try working on a Duramax with the cab on.
lol.gif

Don't get the fascination with diesels in light trucks. I understand Joe 6-pack thinks he's Mr. Macho driving around in one with that loud clatter and belching smoke, but the late models don't even do that any more. Parts prices are high, injectors can run hundreds of dollars each plus there are injection pumps and turbochargers to go bad. Give me a gasser in a late model pickup over the diesel anytime.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Try working on a Duramax with the cab on.
lol.gif

Had to do head gaskets on an LLY 2500 van one time. Pulled the entire body off the frame. Not as bad as you would think.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't get the fascination with diesels in light trucks. I understand Joe 6-pack thinks he's Mr. Macho driving around in one with that loud clatter and belching smoke, but the late models don't even do that any more. Parts prices are high, injectors can run hundreds of dollars each plus there are injection pumps and turbochargers to go bad. Give me a gasser in a late model pickup over the diesel anytime.

If you are towing heavy and want the extra power/torque it doesn't make a difference. Also due mileage, both towing and not, are better than a gas engine in the same chassis setup.

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by atikovi

If you are towing heavy and want the extra power/torque it doesn't make a difference. Also due mileage, both towing and not, are better than a gas engine in the same chassis setup.

It makes a huge difference in repair costs. 8 injectors x $300. 2 turbos $1000. Injection pump $800. Got a GM 6.0 in a 2007 tow truck with over 200K. Gets 12-13 mpg loaded or empty. Can't imagine a diesel would get much better. Not a powerhouse but I don't need it to be. Plus, a fuel injector is $30 and there are no turbos or injection pumps to deal with nor fuel contamination issues many diesels experience.

Diesels will produce approximately 1.5-2 times the torque as a gas engine.

I get 18-20 unloaded in my 8000 lb 6.0 F350 and I get about 14- 15 or so towing 10k lbs.

And parts for this particular engine aren't nearly as expensive as your examples. And it's has 1 turbocharger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back