6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by racin4ds
I love all the 6.0 haters... makes its that much more enjoyable when I blow by their pretty Dodge or Izuzu (duramax) in my 15 year old Ford towing twice the load.
smile.gif

Get rid of all the shortcomings on them very early in their life and they are very reliable, powerful work horses. Delete the EGR right away, drain and flush that junk G05 coolant and put a real ELC diesel coolant in. Install a coolant filter and monitor your oil temps. Change your oil regularly and use a quality HDEO, use all Motorcraft filters and drive it hard! Babying these trucks kills them. They aren't meant to be mall crawlers or for gramps to ride to lowes on the weekends. We tow a 3 horse LQ, loads of hay, cars, and anything else I can hook to the B&W gooseneck. I have all original injectors, never had a valve cover off and never has she left me stranded even on 975mile journeys from VA to Florida.

Oh, and get the FICM reprogrammed with the ATLAS40 flash and keep fresh batteries in them!!!

In other words: the 6.doh is great...after you re-engineer half the engine, make it impossible to register in many places, pour a few thousand dollars down a rat hole, and watch everything like a hawk in the hope it doesn't blow up anyway. Just how much Kool-aid do you have to guzzle to own one of these, again?

The 6.doh is the Yugo of the diesel truck world. They are best suited for sale by the pound as scrap metal.

And admitting in a public forum to violating federal law. What's that now? A $10,000 fine?

Luckily I don't live in a communist state where it matters... don't really give a [censored]. Its my truck and I'll do whatever I want to it to increase its durability and protect my investment.

I'll gladly hook my Yugo to any load your Dodge or GM will haul any day of the week!

Umm, it's a Federal law, doesn't matter what state you live in.

This thread is going to get locked because you girls can't help yourselves from bringing up emissions deletes even though this thread has nothing to do with that!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
This thread is going to get locked because you girls can't help yourselves from bringing up emissions deletes even though this thread has nothing to do with that!

HAHA! Most all threads over 5 pages should be locked as most of the posts after that are just extraneous banter or useless comments.

Maybe it really is time to start sealing engine compartments. Break the seal, vehicle is seized and crushed.

I hope you're joking. You are really that worried about a few people deleting their EGRs on 6.0s? Meanwhile I was behind 3 school busses today that every time they accelerated there was so much oil smoke I could not even see the bus anymore. I'm sure that's great for kids and anyone behind that bus to breathe into their lungs, yet those pass emissions somehow.

I'm sick of stupid. Some people really just need to be whacked upside the head with a stout club fifty or sixty times before they understand anything.

I'm sick of stupid. Some people really just need to be whacked upside the head with a stout club fifty or sixty times before they understand anything.

So ironic coming from a NE, leftist climate control advocate that rides a Harley!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Maybe it really is time to start sealing engine compartments. Break the seal, vehicle is seized and crushed.

I hope you're joking. You are really that worried about a few people deleting their EGRs on 6.0s? Meanwhile I was behind 3 school busses today that every time they accelerated there was so much oil smoke I could not even see the bus anymore. I'm sure that's great for kids and anyone behind that bus to breathe into their lungs, yet those pass emissions somehow.

The school buses didn't "pass emissions somehow." They're exempt from testing. If they had to be tested, they would've failed. If you go to CTemissions.com, you'll find a list of vehicles that are exempt from testing. Among them are "Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more" (large school buses) and "Diesel - Powered Type II School Buses" (under 10,000 lbs GVWR)" (smaller school buses that are diesel powered). So, basically all diesel powered school buses, large and small, are exempt from emissions testing.

Originally Posted by exranger06

So, basically all diesel powered school buses, large and small, are exempt from emissions testing.

In California, diesels from 1998-on get smogged, if they are 14,000lbs GVWR or less.
Originally Posted by State of California BAR website

Diesel-powered vehicles 1998 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000 pounds and less require a Smog Check.

This includes school buses, I've haven't seen school buses billow smoke lately but the ones I've seen First Student operate are Dmax. They've been using Transit cutaways lately.

The local transit agency voluntarily tests their 40-60 foot buses twice a year. I've seen them occasionally "roll coal" down the freeway, since some of them that aren't equipped with EPA2010 engines with SCR have an aftermarket NOx/PM reduction device that uses extra diesel to regenerate while the bus is moving.

Great work Matt. Thanks for documenting the progress.

I have not seen or heard heard anything good about Ford Remanned engines. Since Jack started documenting his issues, I have started looking for reports (good or bad) on them. Seen at least half a dozen bad threads on them. I assume you share that opinion after doing your work? I see where maintenance was lacking also, but shameful to have issues with cheap parts and shoddy workmanship (like improper torquing, etc).

How was the condition of the wiring harnesses?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bismic1

I have not seen or heard heard anything good about Ford Remanned engines. Since Jack started documenting his issues, I have started looking for reports (good or bad) on them. Seen at least half a dozen bad threads on them. I assume you share that opinion after doing your work?

The reman stuff from Ford is generally really good. We have had some bad right out of the box, but that is normal with anything really.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

I have not seen or heard heard anything good about Ford Remanned engines. Since Jack started documenting his issues, I have started looking for reports (good or bad) on them. Seen at least half a dozen bad threads on them. I assume you share that opinion after doing your work?

The reman stuff from Ford is generally really good. We have had some bad right out of the box, but that is normal with anything really.

Thanks for the reply bdcardinal. Generally I would agree with you. The two exceptions from what I have seen have been the engines and the early HPOPs. There is quite a bit of "forum data" on those early HPOPs (new and remanned). Remanned engines - not so much data. As in anything across the internet - it is hard to get an idea of the actual failure rates (let alone identify when failures were actually due to poor maintenance, abuse, installation error, etc!).

I have not seen or heard heard anything good about Ford Remanned engines. Since Jack started documenting his issues, I have started looking for reports (good or bad) on them. Seen at least half a dozen bad threads on them. I assume you share that opinion after doing your work? I see where maintenance was lacking also, but shameful to have issues with cheap parts and shoddy workmanship (like improper torquing, etc).

They were fair. No real chafing per day, but much of it was soaked in oil from all the leaks. Some broken FICM locking clips, cam and crank sensor pigtails were garbage. The harnesses themselves "could" have been replaced, but it is very costly as you know. They function at this point. I did replace the glow plug harnesses however. They are pretty much disposable unless you push them out from the inside of the rocker box. That's a lot of extra work for little gain though. They are cheap enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back