Gasoline in engine oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a problem in my wife's '97 Chrysler LHS. We kept smelling gasoline while driving the car, but I could not find any leaks under the hood, or under the car. I checked the entire fuel system from the tank, all the way to the injectors and could not find any dripping gas anywhere...

While I was under the car, I noticed that there was oil seepage in several places. I thought that oil smelled as if it had gas in it. I checked the oil on the dipstick, and it was water thin and smelled of gas.
frown.gif

So, I had somehow gotten gasoline in the crankcase. The car had been starting and running fine, so I couldn't figure this out initially.

I immediately changed the oil with some house brand 10W40, and put on a new oil filter. But I knew I'd have to solve the problem with the gas getting into the crankcase soon.

I remembered that the car had been loping a bit at idle for the last 1000 to 2000 miles. It would run fine when accelerating, and while going down the road... it just loped a bit at idle.

I decided that perhaps I had a bad plug wire that was grounding out, and firing well only when the engine's RPM's were up a bit. I figured that if I had a non-firing plug, that could have been the reason that gas was going unburned, and then seeping down past the rings into the crankcase.

I changed the plug wires and that seemed to help the loping idle problem... but after two days the gas smell had not gone away. It would come and go, generally after the engine was warm and I ran the heater, you could smell the gas smell in the interior. So the plug wires did not fix the problem.

I checked the OBD system and it had coded (the check engine light had been on for a couple weeks), indicating a faulty EGR valve. I think that was the source of the sloppy idle, and unrelated to the gas in the oil. I cleaned the EGR valve and the loping idle improved, but it still isn't perfect. I need a new EGR valve, I'm sure...

I ran the car about 25 miles on the new oil and filter without fixing the gas in the crankcase problem.

I asked a friend of mine who is a mechanic about the problem, and he said check the fuel pressure regulator valve. He said when that valve goes bad, it will cause gasoline to accumulate in the crankcase.

I didn't really understand the Haynes manual as to how to check that valve, but I decided to go on and buy a new one (fifty bucks
frown.gif
)... and I removed the intake plenum and replaced the valve.

That seems to have solved the problem. No more gas smell.
smile.gif

I believe what was happening was that gasoline was getting into the oil, and when the oil got hot enough the gasoline was vaporizing and escaping from the engine, and that's when it would give off the odor.

Here's the thing: We drove the car about 25 miles on the new oil before fixing the problem, but I don't think the oil is harmed enough to worry about changing it again. Do you guys agree or disagree?

And I don't know how much (there must be at least some) damage I did to the engine running it for 100 to 300 miles (a guess) with severely fuel diluted oil. I guess the engine should be flushed out pretty well though!
laugh.gif

Anyway, the fuel diluted oil really found its way past some of the gaskets in the engine. I put a pint of engine oil stop leak (CD-2 brand, I believe) in there when I changed the oil. Good idea or bad idea?

I'm hoping the gaskets will swell and re-seal the engine. It's got 162,000 miles on it, so I'm hoping to just get by with it for as long as possible without any major mechanical work.

I guess my main question is whether there would be a good reason to change the oil again soon, or just treat this as a normal OCI and forget about it.

How does high fuel pressure cause gas to leak into the crankcase? Anybody know?

One last question: I found a LOT of carbon in the intake plenum, and the two steel tubes that run from the back of it down to the exhaust (don't know what they're called)
blush.gif
... What might clean that stuff out of there?

Thanks for the read,

Dan

Interesting. I'm sure someone will be able to explain how a faulty fuel pressure regulator would cause gasoline build up in the oil.

My guess would be the FPR failed closed or near closed, thus resulting in fuel pressure at the injectors being whatever the fuel pump can put out to a dead head, maybe 100psig?

The ECU roughly knows what fuel presure to expect and thus how long each injector needs to be open to obtain the correct amount of fuel for the amount of air. But if the fuel pressure is higher than expected, of course it gets too much fuel.

However, in closed loop it should be able to adjust the fuel trim based on front O2 sensor(s). If it reaches the end of the fuel map and it's still to rich then I would expect a CEL/MIL with a code for short and/or long term fuel trim issues.

If you added any stop leak to the oil I would dump the oil and filter in a hurry. Oil stop leak should only be added before you sell a car to your mother in-law.

I would check your pcv system from stem to stern. Even if you have gas in the oil you shouldn't really be able to smell it outside the car. Also, working properly, the PCV has the ability to "boil off" the gas fumes from the oil and consume them within the engine.

Yea, I think I'd change the oil. The filter is fine.

The tubes: are those for the EGR valve??? I'd try Seafoam Deep Creep to clean them out; it's the only induction aerosol solvent I know of that is explicitly 02 sensor safe.

Good luck Dan
cheers.gif

My understanding is that most of these fuel pressure regulators use the vacuum signal from the engine to increase the fuel pressure when vacuum is low (demand is high). A leaking diaphragm in the regulator could dump fuel directly into the intake.

Quote:

My understanding is that most of these fuel pressure regulators use the vacuum signal from the engine to increase the fuel pressure when vacuum is low (demand is high). A leaking diaphragm in the regulator could dump fuel directly into the intake.

Ditto, the FPR on my 528e is vacuum operated. When you R+Red the FPR was there a little hose on it ?

Thanks for the explanation Sparkman. And Drew, I'll look into the Seafoam...

Eljefino, you're right about the PCV issue. I'll check that out as well. I changed the EGR today but the bumpy idle problem was still there... I think it may have to do with the clogged tubes at the back of the intake plenum, which I do think has something to do with EGR function.

I'm just glad that the fuel pressure regulator fixed the gas smell problem.

Appreciate all the good info guys.
smile.gif

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back