5W40 viscosity for motocross bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have personally tested the motul 5100 10w50 in an enduro and it is a great oil.

all of my tests have been in a yz250f. which, according to all of the motorcycle magazines here in the usa, say that the husky black head motor was no where close to. even the red head takes a back seat to the other 5 colors of bkes.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i have personally tested the motul 5100 10w50 in an enduro and it is a great oil.

all of my tests have been in a yz250f. which, according to all of the motorcycle magazines here in the usa, say that the husky black head motor was no where close to. even the red head takes a back seat to the other 5 colors of bkes.

Is more fast than CRF's, but not than YZF or KXF.

Why european brands recomends 10W50 or 10W60, and Japanese 10W40?
Is marketing?
Motul 5100 costs similar than Castrol Power1 10W50, have you test the Castrol?
I can buy the Edge 10W60 very cheap, can use it?

Thanks

Sprocket.
Sunruh is the bike oil expert on this site. Accept every bit of advice he gives and use it,the guy knows what he is talking about and I have 100% trust in his opinion when it comes to oils in bikes,motocross,4 wheelers etc.

yes you can use 10w60 but that is such a huge spread that i doubt it will hold up very well.

150kms is about 75kms farther than you should really go on an oil change in one of these motors.

no you dont need to change the oil in the middle of an enduro, but you should only do 1 day on that oil and then change it.

i have not seen castrol power1 in any weight here in the usa. in all of my tests of castrol products (i think it has been more than 7 different) only 1 of them produced good results. and that was the very very good car oil Castrol Syntec 0w30 that is commonly called German Castrol. the rest of their products were very lacking in performance regardless of price.

Now I back to the 300V 15W50, and switch to Helix 20W50 or Edge 10W60 when finish my "stock" of Motul.
Castrol Edge 10W60 is the more used oil here in Europe in Nurburgring, and It was also used in the V8Supercars and Corvette ZF six speed gearboxes with great success.
Extract from http://www.zfdoc.com/faq.htm

" The C4 Corvette ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission uses engine oil for lubrication. I was told by Jeff Henning, Warranty Administrator of ZF Industries North America, that Engineering of ZF Industries in Germany determined that the BMW imported Castrol (RS superseded by TWS) 10W-60 oil was the recommended alternative to the (GM P/N 1052931) factory-fill oil for use in the ZF S6-40 transmission. In effort to verify ZF Industries alternative lubricant recommendation, we ran our own test series on the BMW imported Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil. Independent testing of the transmission oil samples was sub-contracted out to CTC Analytical Services. The test series went as follows:
Spectrographic analysis indicated that it is has full synthetic composition.
After 2 hours of operation, approximately 100 miles, oil sample analysis tests indicated that the viscosity rating was reduced from 60 down to a 43 level. No need to worry, this is a normal occurrence for this heavier type of oil. I attribute this to microscopic-level lubricant-strand trimming through operational loading where all of the oil contents has been passed through gear pressure-loading regions at least a few times.
At 200 miles, the viscosity level stabilized at a 42 level viscosity since the 100 mile oil analysis test results.
At 5000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 40 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 4% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent)
gap wear/mass measurements.
At 10,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 39 level viscosity.
At 12,500 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 37 level viscosity.
At 15,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 34 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was again completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill 30 oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 17% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent) gap wear/mass measurements.
At 15,000 miles the oil had enough phosphor-bronze particles suspended
in it that deposits began building up inside of the synchronizer sliding
sleeves from the normal centrifuge-like rotational occurrence.
In Conclusion, until someone invents a copper magnet, we recommend that the ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission oil be changed at 10,000 - 12,000 mile intervals so as to minimize the amount of deposits of the suspended spent synchronizer material from collecting in critical component contact surface areas."

If it's good for the ZF, it is good for the motorcycle tranny.

Last weekend I run with Motul 300V 15W50 again, definitely starts faster, shift better and clutch runs smooth whith the Petronas 5w40, but only for a short periode.
After two hours the gears are harsh, and oil likes water.

I will go for the Shell Helix when finish my Motul stock, or if the Spanish crisis ends (impossible), buy Motul again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back