5w30 vs 20w50 for short commutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like they don't list 10w30, but they list SAE 30 which makes me think a 10w30 HDEO would probably cut it just fine.

Rotella T5 10w30 or Mobil 1 0w40.
The only "[censored]" oil I would consider is Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30.

Really? That word? OK...""Bad" oil" then
eek.gif

Last edited:
For the record below are the service manual oils.

Preferred: 5w30

Recommended above -20*C: 10w30, 10w40, 10w50

Recommended for severe driving conditions (i.e. desert areas, very high temps, heavy-duty applications): SAE No. 30, 40, 10w50, 20w40, 20w50

IMO, there is no benefit to running a 50 grade in an STI unless he has a built engine with bearing clearances that call for it. xW-40 has been shown to be an excellent choice in a wide variety of conditions, including stock, modded, raced, short trips, cold climates, hot climates, etc.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScoobySTi07
Thanks for all the responses. I look forward to more info and opinions on the recommended vs alternatives question. So far I'm getting a it's not bad, it's not great but there are better choices than 20w50.

Personally I run Rotella T6 5w40 in my '08 STi. It's a solid oil at a good price point for a synthetic. I've been testing out extended runs with it as 3750 miles per change appears to be a little excessive for a mostly mild 30 minute daily highway commute but that's a topic for a different time and thread.

Stick with the T6.

...a completely unscientific, fanny dyno response; every time I used a heavy weight oil - 20W50 Amsoil for example - whilst on track, water and oil temps were much higher than with the recommended 5W30.

Hi ScoobySTi07 - From the information given, your friend is indeed driving under “severe conditions.” Hence, we would recommend the oil/viscosity grade that your OEM Manual recommends for “severe driving". Pennzoil offers a conventional 20W50 motor oil that would be acceptable for this application. - The Pennzoil Team

Just for reference, severe driving is defined as:
- driving in stop and go traffic
- driving in extremely hot or cold temperatures
- driving at prolonged higher engine speeds
- taking multiple trips averaging 5 to 10 miles in length
- frequent cold start-ups and shut downs
- extensive engine idling
- towing and/or hauling heavy loads
- driving in dusty or muddy conditions
- driving in mountainous terrain

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Pennzoil offers a conventional 20W50 motor oil that would be acceptable for this application.

Except that Subaru of America recommends "synthetic" due to turbo failures from oil screens getting clogged.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
7 min daily commute?
wrong car for that.

He should take the long way to work. Spank it out to a 20-minute commute.

when they say "severe" in this context and mention 20w50, on an STI they're probably talking track usage.

For a 7 minute commute? Run the 5w30. I also have a similar commute - 2.2 miles, 3 signals - and mileage suffers if I don't run the thinnest approved oil. I say this because, I have run 5w30 this winter rather than 5w20 and for tanks where it was almost all short trips, mileage was worse than in the past.

It seems that in the context of a 7 minute commute where the oil will likely not reach operating temperature a 0w or 5w oil would make the most sense as it will still be thicker than a 30, 40, or 50 weight at operating temperature. If the car is driving outside the short commute in a way that would be considered severe than a 40 or 50 weight oil sounds like a good option. Given the previous posts one of the 0w-40 options might be an ideal fit. It should maximize things for the short commute without losing anything the rest of the time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
According to Dr. Haas oil philosophy he should be using 0W20.

But there's so many errors in 101, I wouldn't follow that philosophy unless I had a lot of spare cash to throw at a failure.

A3/B4 5w30 would be my advice.

Can you be more specific, or point me to a resource where I can find the errors? I'm new to the BITOG community, so I have been doing a lot of reading. I read that entire article, and am now wondering what you are referencing.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: quickegt
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
According to Dr. Haas oil philosophy he should be using 0W20.

But there's so many errors in 101, I wouldn't follow that philosophy unless I had a lot of spare cash to throw at a failure.

A3/B4 5w30 would be my advice.

Can you be more specific, or point me to a resource where I can find the errors? I'm new to the BITOG community, so I have been doing a lot of reading. I read that entire article, and am now wondering what you are referencing.

Thanks.

Various threads on this forum.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3295148

Thanks Bluesubie. As a new guy here, it's a little shocking that something that is so outdated is still there for all of the new guys to read and accept as good information. I have been lurking around this site for months and reading as much information as possible. It's an excellent site with a lot of valuable information.

I'll have to continue reading through the link you posted, and see if I can find anything else in the other threads you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back