5w30 used instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my 07 Jeep GC and put in Pennzoil YB 5w30.
Oil cap states to use 5w20 in my 3.7. Have I made a big mistake with the w30? The motor has 45000 on it and is still under warranty...

Not necessarily a mistake, but if it's under warranty, you might want to stick with what the manual and oil cap say. But then again, unless your receipt for the oil specifies what viscosity you bought...why would you need to tell Jeep about it?

No big mistake. This winter if the engine does not crank too slowly in the morning, stick with the YB. Otherwise, switch to synthetic year-round and change the oil 2 times a year.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most modern 5W30 oils are on the thin side of the 30 weight spec anyway. I've not been able to discern any fuel economy difference between 5W20, 0W20 and 5W30 oils in our Honda which calls for 5W20. There may be a small fuel economy difference, but it isn't enough for me to detect in our normal use of the vehicle.

If I lived in Canada I would run a synthetic 0W20 in the winter. Anything to make those brutal winter cold starts a little easier on the vehicle seems like a good idea, if only to make things easier on the battery and starter.

I like 5W-20 or 0W-20 in our Honda Element VTec engine

If it was driven in 100 degree heat like in Houston Texas or Orlando Florida then maybe 0W-30 Castrol GC or a 5W-30 would be smart.

In 100 + heat like Arizona or Las Vegas, Nevada....then maybe 5W-40 or 10W-30.

In all cases, I would use a top rated full synthetic

But for most locations if the car specs 5W-20 I'd use 5W-20 and only go to a thicker oil when high temps or very high mileage or high load like towing made the switch appropriate.

Leave the 5W30 until the next OC, or as soon as it gets to cold to be outside wanting to change the oil. At that point change the oil to the spec'd 5W20 oil, or a 0W20 oil. What you're running now won't hurt the engine. The 20 grade oil will serve you well and keep your warranty intact.

Thanks for the replies! I will go to the factory spec oil on my next oil change, although it seems to be a little harder to find in my small town. I was wanting to use synthetic but no real deals lately and the YB was on for 11.99. Hard to pass up!

Why run 5-30 instead of 5-20? I thought it was determined 5-20 is superior to 5-30?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Why run 5-30 instead of 5-20? I thought it was determined 5-20 is superior to 5-30?

Higher HTHS........

3.3 vs 3.8 for Redline for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back