5w30 ok in a grand cherokee 4.0 for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
driving.gif
have always used 10w30 in my grand cherokee 4.0 engine, and some here use 10w40 with great results.my question is if 5w30 would be good in this engine for north carolina winter months? or just stay with 10w30 reg or semi?tks

I hope so... I have used it for several years. 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. According to the owners manual, it's ok to use if your within the temp zones. Mine is a 2000 WJ. One of these days I paln to get a UOA done to see how it.s wearing.

Heck I have seen 4.0 Jeeps with 200,000 only on 5W-30 so I don't think it is that big a deal but they do spec it for a reason (at least you'd hope they do).

Have no fear. I run Castrol GTX 5W30 in my YJ (square headlight Wrangler) trail rig and it gets beaten regularly.
I also just changed to Supertech 5W30 in my '89 Cherokee.

I had a 93 Grand with the 4.0 L engine that had over 200K miles when I sold it, was still running great and used less than 1/2 qrt between OIC at 3-3.5K.

All it ever saw was 5W-30 plus it saw many oil brands & all were dino oil.

Quote:

So if you are getting great results with what you've been using, why change??

Because the super cold winter months and the fact that the 5w is going to flow better at start up... That would be my guess
grin.gif

I absolutely use 5W-30 in mine. It can get pretty fridged in january here in ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back