5W30 instead of 10W30 for a 4 stroke

My 1998 liquid cooled Kawasaki 501V has had a steady diet of whatever is on sale 15w40 HDEO, and after an estimated (no hour meter) 2,000 hours and almost 23 years it still runs like new. Currently NAPA 15w40 in the crankcase and I will use the same when it gets it’s winter service. No smoke or consumption ever.

At least in the OP is in Australia, isn't 15W40 and 20w50 super common and the were preferred grade in most cars down under until the early 2000s

HTHS is what you want to pay attention for...

You can use 5w30......but stay away from energy conserving oils (usually those are API/ILSAC only).....
I think you separating pepper from fly S**t. It's just a lawn mower, not some expensive automobile. He will likely get atleast 10-15 years of use from it no matter what he puts in it as long as the oil is changed as specified.

Last edited:
Well I am not the only one with that approach here...

Plus have some real life expiriences with elevated oil consumption in a, Simplicity snowthrower with HMSK10 Tecumseh engine...
Our state Petrol company sold Texaco repacked engine oils in the past...that was cca 10-15yrs ago....when 5w30 used to be ILSAC GF5 instead of VW 504/507 specd like it is these days....

HTHS is especially important in engines which are running constantly @WOT...like a snowthrower or a generator...it helps also to lower oil consumption

I think you separating pepper from fly S**t. It's just a lawn mower, not some expensive automobile. He will likely get at least 10-15 years of use from it no matter what he puts in it as long as the oil is changed as specified.
I think you have a serious point there. My oldest piece of OPE is a 1986 Troy-Bilt rototiller (real deal - not MTD) that sees 10+ hours per year. It has a B&S 5 HP flathead and ran on Quaker State SAE 30 for it's first 30 years. It's been on 5w-40 RT6 since then, and is going to 15w-40 RT6 at the next change. There have never been any oil consumption issues.

The only piece of OPE that I have ever had consumption issues with was a Craftsman leaf vacuum with a 4.5 HP Tecumseh flathead. That one started blowing blue smoke. I took it to a local shop that replaced the breather tube and what not. The blue smoke went away, but the oil consumption didn't. Stuck rings or something I guess.

In any event, I have a shed full of OPE toys that never consume any oil. Now I will admit that I don't run most of them when it would uncomfortably hot or cold. The generators are the exception there. My go to OPE oils have been M1 10w-30 HM in the past, some 5w-40 RT6, and now some 15w-40 RT6. I plan to phase out the 5w-40 RT6 bur keep using the M1 10w-30 in some applications.

Its funny to read about stuck rings here......because that never happens over here......I dont know a single person amongst my friends.....or family that will ever got a "stuck ring" related problem......in a car or OPE.....it has to be something with your oils over there....its not the first time that I am trying to disscuss this here. Yes.....we can have an oil burner because manufacturer put in low tension rings...or valve stem seals are not ok.....but we never get "stuck rings".

Regarding my Snowthrower.......actually I am getting new one this week-end ( I am waiting to be delivered)......Loncin OHV 420ccm (LC190FDS)......unfortunately everything is Chineesium this days :( I know that engine is ok....but I am sure that everything else wont whitstand 25yrs of HD use like that Simplicity snowthrower did....

With HD use I mean.......6-8hours of snow throwing 2 days straight! Where we have our cottage (+22 neighbours)......it used to be "slightly" off the grid.....some 20-25years ago....nowadays its easy.....that road now belongs to municipality......and now contractor comes with a plow....

But previously we were on our own.....700m of remote road (trough the forest)...... + 23 front yards had to be plowed....every time when snow felt :love:

And dont forget to multiply 700m x4........because snowthrower is not wide enough for just one pass!

And if you are throwing snow for 2 days....each day 6-8hours straight @WOT you pretty **** know the amount of oil you have to add......and you know the difference of how much oil you have to add if you have 5w30 API/ILSAC or 5w40 A3/B4 MB 229.5 BMW LL-01 in a sump.....

Btw that HMSK10 still runs fine after 25yrs of HD use.....its the rest (the body of that snowthrower) that has "play" in every joint.....

Last edited:
I think you separating pepper from fly S**t. It's just a lawn mower, not some expensive automobile. He will likely get atleast 10-15 years of use from it no matter what he puts in it as long as the oil is changed as specified.
I used to have a small engine shop and you would see mowers come in for service where the little oil left in them was like tar , I don't know how they kept running but they did.

Back