5w30 in Corolla 2019

even 20W-50 says Toyota...
Yep, and I guarantee that someone in Australia will be running it on 20W50 too. But probably not that many all up.

However 15W40 (SN & A3/B3) and 10W40 (SN & A3/B4) oils are very cheap and plentiful here, and I’m sure many people will be running these cars on a 40 grade oil without problem. Summer and winter, years on end.

So I'm assuming you are regularly having oil temps above 105c requiring a step up in grade.

Maybe , with many cars going to exhaust manifold-in-head designs this will happen.

My Fit 1.5 was that way, as is GM 3.6 V6, Pentastar 3.6 V6 and My Jetta 1.4t .
The Jetta never ran real hot though.
It had an advanced multi circuit cooling system.

Dear Sir, my Corolla is Canadian one, I received it directly from Canada, Ontario, Cambridge, where the same CAFE’s restriction are applicable, that’s why I asked for opinions right here....
Yes, sorry. I edited my post after realizing. My error.

You could always go half and half and end up with a 25 instead of a constant 20 or 30. In other words slowly introduce it to your car instead of giving it a full dose all at one time.
This is what I did....but not really intentionally. From the spring through the summer I did a few oil changes for some friends. Ended up with 2 perfectly good quarts of Valvoline synthetic 0/20 and 2 quarts of Valvoline synthetic 5/30. No way I way I was going to waste it. So I mixed it and it recently went into my wife's '19 Corolla LE.

No problems....and I didn't expect there would be. The car couldn't care any less.

That said...I will probably stick with a 20 most of the time. So next OC I'll be using M1 EP 5/20. It's a heavy 20....coming in at a 9 @ 100°C

Interesting that Toyota ships cars from Canada to Israel. I would think Europe is much closer.

Israel charges a 83% purchase tax on new cars so cars are super expensive there compared to North America.

If you move to Israel under the Aliyah program, they allow you to import a car without having to pay any taxes.

That's my guess about how it got from Canada to Israel

Yep, and I guarantee that someone in Australia will be running it on 20W50 too. But probably not that many all up.

However 15W40 (SN & A3/B3) and 10W40 (SN & A3/B4) oils are very cheap and plentiful here, and I’m sure many people will be running these cars on a 40 grade oil without problem. Summer and winter, years on end.
I sure wish we had 15w40 PCMO in the states.

Reactions: SR5
in southeast asia toyota 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8 engines are ubiquitous but i’ve never seen any -w20 oil for sale. retail shelves are full of -w40 oil. outside of warranty compliance terms, i would be quite content running -w30 in any of those stout little toyota engines in any locale. -w30 was in my dear departed 2004 corolla and nourishes my beloved 2014 yaris.

If it's like every other toyota manual I've seen, all they say is required is "ILSAC GF-5 Multi-grade" which means 0w20,5w20,0w30,5w30,and 10w30 are be permitted, it's just that 0w20 is 'recommended' but thicker oil is recommended when using the car in more severe conditions.

Last edited:
Back