5w30 in Corolla 2019

Hello , I know that this is a common question, recently I used Liqui Moly special tec aa 5w30 in my Corolla 2019 le engine that in the car manual specified with 0w20 or 5w20, the reason for doing this because I have five liters of Liqui Moly in my garage, but what surprised me that the same engine and car in Australia 5w30 or even 10w30 is recommende, I live in very hot climate in summer +120 F , and in winter the average temp is about 50 F , so am I harming my engine by using 5w30 or it is fine according to such climate, opinions please!

Attachments

• B237995B-C1FD-40A7-9FC0-9301F78B682B.jpeg
    B237995B-C1FD-40A7-9FC0-9301F78B682B.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 66
Many people subscribe to the "5w30 in everything" train of thought. Your Corolla will be just fine and probably better off due to your climate.

Since Australia is using a 10w30 you can use your 5w30 just fine in Israel. I would imagine they both have similar climates unless Australia is just hot yard year around.

Thank you all , for your valuable replies, yesterday I was chatting with my Nighber who works as aircraft engineer, he told me that we should be careful with what the owner manuals recommend, because specifically in North America the car manufacturers tries their best to cope with CAFE restrictions regarding fuel consumption, they somehow be forced to make sure that the majority of car owners use what CAFE required of oil viscosity, and he also told me that going up for a little in oil viscosity would give me more engine protection, and little reduction in fuel economy, personally I don’t care that much in fuel economy, he emphasized that car manufacturers don’t care that much about costumers after the warranty periods, but they are much carful with CAFE restrictions , however your replies and experiences support the theory.....

I'd run 5w30 in it without having any second thoughts. In your climate 10W30 would work very well too.

Thank you all , for your valuable replies, yesterday I was chatting with my Nighber who works as aircraft engineer, he told me that we should be careful with what the owner manuals recommend, because specifically in North America the car manufacturers tries their best to cope with CAFE restrictions regarding fuel consumption, they somehow be forced to make sure that the majority of car owners use what CAFE required of oil viscosity, and he also told me that going up for a little in oil viscosity would give me more engine protection, and little reduction in fuel economy, personally I don’t care that much in fuel economy, he emphasized that car manufacturers don’t care that much about costumers after the warranty periods, but they are much carful with CAFE restrictions , however your replies and experiences support the theory.....
Basically that is what I (and also some other users) am trying to tell in EU oils section to my "over the pond" readers......but they dont want to hear/understand/...

Last edited:
Is CAFE pushed in the US? Yes. Does that mean the viscosity recommendations are subpar? No.

Two of my siblings live near Phoenix Arizona and have only used 0W-20 in their 10+ year old vehicles that continue to run strong. Yet, 5W-30 and even 5W-40 will work just fine for you but so would 0W-20.

Often times, this board has a tendency to discredit decisions not their own. Putting down one for the sake of the other.

Last edited:
Tell us, How did the engine run with the heavier oil?

I have found a loss of low end torque and increased engine temp and smelly emissions when going up a grade - or going to a ACEA A3 - which would be like going up 2 grades. This is on cars with VVTi, which I think is used on that Yamaha 4 cyl in you Corolla. Is this a 5 or 6 speed manual or and Automatic?

-Ken

Is CAFE pushed in the US? Yes. Does that mean the viscosity recommendations are subpar? No.

Two of my siblings live near Phoenix Arizona and have only used 0W-20 in their 10+ year old vehicles that continue to run strong. Yet, 5W-30 and even 5W-40 will work just fine for you but so would 0W-20.

Often times, this board has a tendency to discredit decisions not their own. Putting down one for the sake of the other.
Dear Sir, my Corolla is Canadian one, I received it directly from Canada, Ontario, Cambridge, where the same CAFE’s restriction are applicable, that’s why I asked for opinions right here....

Tell us, How did the engine run with the heavier oil?

I have found a loss of low end torque and increased engine temp and smelly emissions when going up a grade - or going to a ACEA A3 - which would be like going up 2 grades. This is on cars with VVTi, which I think is used on that Yamaha 4 cyl in you Corolla. Is this a 5 or 6 speed manual or and Automatic?

-Ken
I am currently using 5w30 in my Corolla engine, it works fine , with no side effects, yet I asked for experts opinion to make sure that my car is safe, my Corolla has 2zr-e55w engine with CVT transmission....

Back