5W30 Humor

Tuesday it began snowing here in La. Wednesday it snowed some and sleeted some. Temperatures got as low as 6* F overnight. We lost power Wednesday night until Friday morning. The high temperature Thursday was 21* F with a real feel of 9* F. The wind was gusting up to 20 mph.
Thursday afternoon. l wanted to start my truck and charge my phone. It started fine, no startup noises. After sitting in the nice warm heat for about 45 minutes my cousin called and asked what l was doing. I told him l wanted to charge my phone and get warm. He told me l was taking a HUGE risk starting my engine in this cold weather with 5W30 synthetic oil in it. I'm not going to go into detail about what my response was but he kept swearing up and down that l was wrong and l was lucky that l had not ruined my engine. :D

Tuesday it began snowing here in La. Wednesday it snowed some and sleeted some. Temperatures got as low as 6* F overnight. We lost power Wednesday night until Friday morning. The high temperature Thursday was 21* F with a real feel of 9* F. The wind was gusting up to 20 mph.
Thursday afternoon. l wanted to start my truck and charge my phone. It started fine, no startup noises. After sitting in the nice warm heat for about 45 minutes my cousin called and asked what l was doing. I told him l wanted to charge my phone and get warm. He told me l was taking a HUGE risk starting my engine in this cold weather with 5W30 synthetic oil in it. I'm not going to go into detail about what my response was but he kept swearing up and down that l was wrong and l was lucky that l had not ruined my engine. :D
Ask him to joint BITOG. He will have a 20W-50 grade welcoming on here 😊

And what brilliant "technician" filled his head with this information?
Oh man, l'm on my phone because we still don't have cable and internet. It would take too long for me to type it. But, he ONLY uses FRAM oil filters because he said those are the oil filters John Force uses. Need l say more? :rolleyes: :D

You can let him know I started my 2012 Cummins powered Ram yesterday at work in 10F. It has Mobil Delvac 15W40 in the crankcase. It was a little slow to crank but fired right up and idled away at 1000RPM like normal at 10F. Grid heater cycled a few times, exhaust brake on and in less than 5 minutes I was driving home.

If your cousin's theory was true us "northerner's" would never leave home from December until March... :ROFLMAO:

Just my $0.02

Just another misinformed soul that apparently believes advertising/sponsors without exception. Just curious, what oil does your cousin suggest when temp drops? Or should we just not drive when it gets below a certain temp?

Oh man, l'm on my phone because we still don't have cable and internet. It would take too long for me to type it. But, he ONLY uses FRAM oil filters because he said those are the oil filters John Force uses. Need l say more? :rolleyes: :D

Tell your cousin that the John Force teams are planning to run the full tour in '21. What that NHRA tour will look like, is still up in the air.

You can also tell him I started an engine at -40°, with Mobil 1 10w30 in the sump. It cranked a little slow, but that engine ran fine for another twenty years, until I sold the vehicle in perfect running order.

Lol I started my truck in our -15* temps last week. It made a couple noises and wasn't super happy but it started. :geek:

I used to have to start 12 AIR STARTER Thermodyne Macks in -22 degree weather! Actual, not "real feel" stuff. They all used nothing less than Valvoline All Fleet 15W-40. Guess what? None of them blew up!

Next time somebody down in Loosiana Cajun country tells you it's too cold, just hit the 🗝️ and yell, laissez les bon temps rouler!

1613849137909.png

He'd probably keel over if he heard of the people up north running 10w30 or 15w40 in their cars.

Back