5w30 Havoline SM/K&N 1004, 1992 miles, 1997 Integra Type R

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Again, a low mileage UOA for me, but I wanted to see what two HPDE (high performance driving event) days at Mid-America Motorplex (near Omaha, NE) would do. My guess would be 250-300 track miles for the 2 track days plus the trip from Milwaukee to Omaha and back with some daily driving after I got home.

My 1st UOA with Schaeffer 10w30 and a track day from two months ago shown here... http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002567

I am glad I have made the decision to go with the havaline dino over the syn I am running now.
It may just be me but I dont think this oil is just one of the "best bang for the buck" oils around I think its one of the best oils period.

I wouldn't call that a small amount of viscosity loss, especially in only 2000 miles. But the wear numbers don't lie (or do they......). Considering the use the oil went through, with sustained 7-8,000 rpms or higher, it did suprisingly well. I'd be interested to see if 10w-30 Havoline would have kept it's viscosity better. I'm guessing it would not.

I must have had a brain ****; I was thinking the viscosity was 50. 54 is darn near par for the course with dino 30 weights, let alone track abuse in a high strung engine.

I was glad to see these results. I plan on using Havoline in at least a couple of the vehicles that I take care of. I'll be following the UOA's of Havoline in the future.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I must have had a brain ****; I was thinking the viscosity was 50. 54 is darn near par for the course with dino 30 weights, let alone track abuse in a high strung engine.

No worries, Drew!
cheers.gif

I'm so
fruit.gif
that I have a strong and healthy engine to do my track events with and a car that gets me to work and back (56 miles round trip) 5 days a week.
smile.gif

-

-

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
I'm so
fruit.gif
that I have a strong and healthy engine to do my track events with and a car that gets me to work and back (56 miles round trip) 5 days a week.
smile.gif

Nice Integra! I almost bought one of those Type R's when they first hit the U.S. I had one on order, but then cancelled the order and went with a '97 Audi A4 1.8T. Both great cars for sure, but I'm sure that Type R would have provided a bit more of an engaging driving experience.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
8 ppm silicon in only 2K miles? Does the car have an aftermarket air filter?

Wix paper air filter but it was dirty and I replaced it at this oil change with a new Wix.

I don't think 8 ppm is anything to get scared over. We'll see if it goes down with my next UOA... I plan to go ~4000 miles on the 5w30 Citgo SuperGard/Purolator 14459 (no track miles) that is in the engine now.

BrewCityR, looking in through the filler cap with a light, is there any hint of any accumulated built-up varnish or sludge?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
BrewCityR, looking in through the filler cap with a light, is there any hint of any accumulated built-up varnish or sludge?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

None at all (and I just checked).
tongue.gif

I have used 10w30 Schaeffer 7000 (SL) for every oil change except for three since I have owned this car (bought with 25,000, now has 63,300 miles). 1st oil change on the car was with 10w30 Amsoil, then Schaeffer changes until the last 2 (this last report with Havoline and Citgo SuperGard currently in the engine). I've never gone over 3,500 miles on a Schaeffer interval and in the 9-10 track days I've done, the interval has never gone over 2,000 miles. Overkill, yes.
nono.gif

Yeah, with your short intervals, I'd expect the engine to be very, very clean.

My Honda tractor's 18hp engine looks like it was assembled this morning ... but has almost 1,000 hours on it.

The oil? Schaeffer 15W-40 for the past 2.5 years.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back