5w30 full synthetic vs 10w30 full synthetic

My 3800 V6 never had synthetic in the past 10 years. I mostly drive in the city, less than 4 miles. I am currently using 5w30 Napa blend. I live in a place where it rarely go below 40 degree. If I want to switch to fully synthetic, is 10w30 better than 5w30?

Whatever the owners manual says. I don't see any advantage to 10w30 in your case. Your short trips, however, would call for a shorter change interval. Follow the OCI recommended in you manual for "severe service".

My 3800 V6 never had synthetic in the past 10 years. I mostly drive in the city, less than 4 miles. I am currently using 5w30 Napa blend. I live in a place where it rarely go below 40 degree. If I want to switch to fully synthetic, is 10w30 better than 5w30?
The winter rating is related to your expected starting temperatures. At 40 degrees you can use anything including an oil with a 20W rating. A difference between an oil with a 5W and a 10W winter rating will only be significant at much lower temperatures than 40F.

Why do you want to change? I Don't see any upside to changing.

Plus Organic is all the rage vs. Artificial ingredients ! :)

It really doesn't matter in your climate. Personally, I would keep using 5w30. Or just flip a coin.

I still think you'd end up spending less on 15W40 1300 super, but you're free to choose as you wish. None of the options that you have presented so far would cause any problems, and your 3800 would be happy with any of them. Choose whichever one lets you sleep best at night.

I wouldn't say better but on occasion I find 10W-30 cheaper on sale than 5W-30. For must purposes I would suggest they are very comparable.

I still think you'd end up spending less on 15W40 1300 super, but you're free to choose as you wish. None of the options that you have presented so far would cause any problems, and your 3800 would be happy with any of them. Choose whichever one lets you sleep best at night.
IME, GM juice roller tappets like a thin 30 for good torque production.

I wouldn't have a 15W40 goo anywhere near those motors.

IME, GM juice roller tappets like a thin 30 for good torque production.

I wouldn't have a 15W40 goo anywhere near those motors.
I've seen many of your claims of higher kv100 oils affecting power production, but have yet to experience anything of the sort in my time on both the street and the track. Until I see some quantifiable data stating the otherwise, aside from butt dyno figures, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I have a98 Buick lesabre. 3800 series v6. I have used 5w30 synthetic,no problem.but, prefer 10w30. Less VI improvers. 530 will sheer. 10w30 lubricated better. But,thicker oil means too,you loose a tad mileage. I don't like extra Viscosity index improvers. Its a polkymer,I believe,that makes the oil thinner.
It's best,too stay in oil recommended grade. Mobil,royal purple, valve line synthetics,10w30 grade pour point in winter are minus 44 too minus 49 degrees F, without extra VI improvers.

Run whichever fits into your budget the best.

If/when the engine finally dies, it won’t be any sooner or later than if you had chosen one of those oils over the other, so it ultimately won’t make any difference which you run now until then.

Back