5W30 for a Toyota 1zz-fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
PPErsonely I think part of your problem is the 5W30. Try a good 5W40 like Delvac-1, Mobil 1 SUV 5W40, Redline 5W40 etc.... TO date my 2AZFE has used 1/3 of a quart in 6000 mile OCI. IT was the first use of synthetic and that 1/3 of quart happened like the first 1000-2000 miles into the OCI. Since then I have not used any oil at all. I getinto the red all the time, downshift for engine brakeing and do a lot of WOT!!!! I drive my Camry like it is a rally preped Celica or Carolla!

I am currently running Redline 5W40. I am going to use Castrol Syntec Blend 15W40 in it at todays oil change.

I just visited spyderchat.com! I would not run any oil that is voltile in these engines!! IT looks like they have cat issues!! If you have not removed the precats you might want to consider useing a thicker less voltile oil!! THei has been some spirited discussion on spyferchat.com that are worth looking at if you one a new 00-02 MR2!

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
I wouldnt do any extended drain intervals in the 1zzfe engines (at least the ones that were built and put in the MR2 SPyder in 2000-2001) those engines suck arse! Myself and many others (check Spyderchat.com) have had to have long blocks replaced due to some manf defects with the rings (they started using teflon coated rings on the rebuilds. So unless the car in question is seriously out of warranty, I would stick to the scheduled maintanance.

I hear that! I had a friend with an MR2 Spyder, and his car went through 4 engines in 2 years. Over $100,000 of work was done on that car, all covered by warranty. He finally got sick of it, was able to negotiate a dealer buyback, and got a 350Z!

ya, no precats on my car. I'm just worried about running oil other than a 5w30 since I don't want to void the 100k warranty that came with the toyota certified used car package.

The car was a dealer loaner car for the first 8k of it's life. I dunno what it went through.

--Matt

Anyone ever been accused of using a different oil than speced and had warranty work refused?

--Matt

Ok, my dealership said they won't even pull the engine apart unless it consumes a quart or more of oil every 1k. Which is kinda crappy, since it is a new car. If I was consuming a quart every 5k I would be pissed.

--Matt

Ok, I'm losing sleep over my new car burning oil at only 15k miles(I put about 1.5k miles on it a month and would like to be able to rack many of those miles up). Could it be worthwhile to run an auto-rx treatment after this interval is done at 22k? Might I benefit from going with M1 0w40? I've had good luck with the 0w40 on my previous car and other friends/damily members cars. I doubt the 0w40 would even impact the gas mileage and it seems to be a solid oil.

Lemmee know how you think this might work:

1)at 22k, pour in Mobil Drive clean 10w30 and a bottle of auto-rx, run 2k miles
2)run another interval of drive clean 10w40 for 3k miles
3)continue to run M1 5w30 or run M1 0w40

I'd like to go with the mobil dino oil so that I don't get any additive clash when switching back to synth.

Or would this just be a waste of money?

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back