5W30 and extended drain intervals- is this possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what oil to use in my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac which currently has 8200 miles on it. I drive an average of 300 miles a week, which 80% of those miles are city miles, and about 30 of those miles are spent towing a 2500 pound boat. I am currently running Castrol GTX 5W30 and a Motorcraft filter. From everything I've read on this board(great board by the way)I have learned that most 5W30 thins out to 20 weight after a few thousand miles. The owners manual says to run 5W30 and unfortunately says nothing about being able to run 10W30. I want to start extending my drain intervals, but have to use 5W30 because of the warranty. What oil should I be running in order to run 5K mile drain intervals? Thanks, Joe

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
I am wondering what oil to use in my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac which currently has 8200 miles on it. I drive an average of 300 miles a week, which 80% of those miles are city miles, and about 30 of those miles are spent towing a 2500 pound boat. I am currently running Castrol GTX 5W30 and a Motorcraft filter. From everything I've read on this board(great board by the way)I have learned that most 5W30 thins out to 20 weight after a few thousand miles. The owners manual says to run 5W30 and unfortunately says nothing about being able to run 10W30. I want to start extending my drain intervals, but have to use 5W30 because of the warranty. What oil should I be running in order to run 5K mile drain intervals? Thanks, Joe

Pick a good 5W30 and get it analyzed at 3K, then 5K if it's still good at 3K.

Are you looking to use a synthetic or conventional? I would think a 5W-30 synthetic could do 5K just fine.

I am not totally convinced that 5W30 always thins...it actually thickens in some cars.

A shear stable synthetic oil will slowly thicken due to oxidation/nitration of the basestock and the buildup of wear metals and other contaminents. Generally after 20k-25k miles it will thicken up by one SAE grade, say from a 30wt to a 40wt. At least that has been my experience ....

You can easily run Mobil 1 (or any decent oil) for 5000-6000 miles in this application and it should do just fine.

Ted

I think many here would tell you that a 10W... is better than a 5W for shear stability.. Especially if its a full syn. Thats because the a 10W syn is easily good to below 0F. I live in Harrisburg Pa. and a number of winters ago we had some nights appproaching -20F. My 10W-30 Mobil 1 worked just fine.

Any experienced powertrain engineer will recommend you stick to 5W-30 for modern engines.

Or ask any speed shops that specialize with modern high performance V8s (Ford SOHC/DOHC V8s, 4.6/5.4, etc) and they'll say to stick with 5W-30 and NOT to use 10W-30 regardless of whether its synthetic or not.

When a guy with a 450 horsepower supercharged 4.6L SOHC V8 95 T-bird recommends the use of 5W-30, I listen. If it can handle the track and then street driving (yes, it is STREET driven. the guy drives it in the snow too!!!) using 5W-30, then it must be right.

Or ask any speed shops that specialize with modern high performance V8s (Ford SOHC/DOHC V8s, 4.6/5.4, etc) and they'll say to stick with 5W-30 and NOT to use 10W-30 regardless of whether its synthetic or not.)

I whole heartedly disagree. None will tell you to use a 5/30 as a performance oil,none!
rolleyes.gif
And the other guy using the 5/30, that is a recipe for disaster. It is only a matter of time for that motor.

A 5/30 Synthetic will be a different ball game with blower motors and simalar engines

I am not trying to start something here I am just seeing some wrong information posted that others might see a good and hurt their motors because of it,so please do not take this as inflamatory

I hope others do not follow this advice or statements. Maybe dragboat will help with this,he is a motor builder and racer
cool.gif

Amsoil XL 7500 Series 5w-30 gives you a 6 month/7500 mile oil change interval with any oil filter. Amsoil High Performance 5w-30 gives you 12 months/25k mile oil change intervals with an Amsoil oil filter.

TDI, You're starting to spout amsoil sales pitches., We all know what amsoil says but that does not hold true in many cases. Please try and be a little more objective in your comments, Bob.

[ September 18, 2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

My '93 Olds Ciera 3.3L Buick V6 went to 11 k on Mobil 1 5W30 using analysis. I've since changed my views on oil and am running M1 0W40, but a recent analysis of M1 TS 5W30 showed very good indication of being up to the task of extended drains in my '96 Impala 350 LT1 V8.

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
The owners manual says to run 5W30 and unfortunately says nothing about being able to run 10W30. I want to start extending my drain intervals, but have to use 5W30 because of the warranty. What oil should I be running in order to run 5K mile drain intervals?

I'll let you know in a few months.

I'm getting Valvoline Synpower 10w30 analyzed at 6K next week and switching over to Schaeffer Blend 5w30 for comparison. The car is a 2001 Camry V6.

So far the Synpower 10w30 has turned color very slowly (starts out very clear) and is still lighter in color than M1 5w30 usually gets (M1 starts out darker too).

Maybe I'm getting less blowby. Maybe it's not doing a good job at suspending contaminants. Hopefully, the analysis numbers will reveal the answer.

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:
Amsoil XL 7500 Series 5w-30 gives you a 6 month/7500 mile oil change interval with any oil filter. Amsoil High Performance 5w-30 gives you 12 months/25k mile oil change intervals with an Amsoil oil filter.

That doesn't seem to be the case based on my own experience and what I've been seeing on the used oil analysis board.

Joee12,

Take a look at the user's manual see if has a oil viscosity (weight) chart versus temperature.

The 5W30 is a minimal oil, and if you are pulling anything, I would use no less than a 10W30, specifically in full synthetic.

And change the tranny and differential fluids as per the severe service schedule. Most differential shops recommend a differential oil change every 12,500 miles if you pull anything.

Since I cannot edit the orignal message,

I would also recommend used oil analysis to determine oil and engine conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Joee12,

Take a look at the user's manual see if has a oil viscosity (weight) chart versus temperature.

If you look at any late model Ford, you will not find a chart recommending viscosity versus temerature. Instead, you will find only one recommended oil weight, which for both my 97 F150 and 99 F150 is 5w30. In later years, that switches to 5w20 for many engines. While it only states it is the recommended weight, for warranty purposes you must use an oil that meets the specified Ford specification, which conveniently means only 5w20 meets the specifications.

On a side note, another user over at F150online recently installed an oil temperature gauge. He found the oil temp in his late model F150 with the 5.4l V8 was not even reaching 190 degrees during nearly 100 degree heat under heavy loads. Does this seem normal? I have no idea what typical oil temps should be (except for the tranny - we all know heat kills there).

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
OK, then use a synthetic blend (Schaeffer's) or a full synthetic (Mobil 1 5W30 SS, or Amosil 5W30 HDD, or Redline 5W30) for the warranty period.

I think we all know the oil's recommended viscosities are for CAFE purposes and not for minimal engine wer.

Sorry about the aborted post.
blush.gif

Molakule - I take it from your suggestion that Schaeffer's, Mobil 1, and Amsoil 5w30 all meet Ford's oil specification (for 2002)?

I have a '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 that calls for 5w-30. I have been using Mobil 1 0W-30 TS(on sale $2.50 QT) since 6K and it now has 12K. I drive 300-400 miles a week through the heat that Chicago has had this year. I use 5K intervals and my last sample tested fine. Any name brand synthetic will go 5K without a problem, even with towing.

Looking at the spec sheets for Schaeffers I ciouldn't find an oil that meets the current Ford Spec. The current spec is M2C153-H. I found schaeffers meeting M2C153-F and G. Mobil also does not have a synthetic oil that meets the spec, but offers a dino oil - Drive Clean, that does meet the spec, and surprise, its 5w-20.

My apologies on the link, Bob. I guess I misunderstood the intent of the rules. My intent was not to promote the other site, but to provide some food for thought on the use of 5w20. I am in no way affiliated with any other site or product, other than being a user of the message boards. I don't feel like copying nearly 20 posts on the material to this board, so I will leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back