5W30 and extended drain intervals- is this possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not an expert on current Ford Pdt's, since I use mostly GM LT vehicles,

but Amsoil says of their 5W30 HDD, they meet these Ford Specs:

*Ford WSS M2C-153G, M2C-171C*

Now, if this is a recent Ford Spec, many oil companies may not have relabled to those specs as yet.

Gopher,

I believe part of the Ford M2C153-H specification is that the oil be an SAE 5w-20. As I recall, there is also a double length (128 hrs?) Sequence "IIIe", high temp test. This would be in addition to the normal engine sequence testing required for the API, SL (ILSAC GF-3) specification.

The most recent Ford oil spec is M2C153-H. The M2C153-G spec is an older oil specification from Ford. If you look in the owners manual of a Ford from after the switch to 5w-20, the manual calls for the use of an oil that meets the M2C153-H specification in order to maintain warranty coverage. As part of the spec, it calls for 5w-20 oil and some additional testing above and beyond what is required for the SL / GF3 rating. Somebody had posted a nice explanation of the tests required to get the SL designation, and it commented on the extra testing required by Honda and Ford to meet thier respective situations.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Joee12,

Take a look at the user's manual see if has a oil viscosity (weight) chart versus temperature.

The 5W30 is a minimal oil, and if you are pulling anything, I would use no less than a 10W30, specifically in full synthetic.

And change the tranny and differential fluids as per the severe service schedule. Most differential shops recommend a differential oil change every 12,500 miles if you pull anything.

Molakule, the interesting thing is that both my 02 Explorer and the 2000 Mazda B3000(Ford Ranger) that I traded for the Explorer both only said to use an API SJ certified 5W30 oil. Unfortunately, there was no temp range in the manual, or I would use 10W30. I had mentioned in another post that I have been trying to find Chevron Supreme 5W30, but the slot for it at Walmart is always out, they usaully only have 10W30 or 10W40. So twice now I end up buying the 5 Qt. container of Castrol GTX. -Joe

OK, then use a synthetic blend (Schaeffer's) or a full synthetic (Mobil 1 5W30 SS, or Amosil 5W30 HDD, or Redline 5W30) for the warranty period.

I think we all know the oil's recommended viscosities are for CAFE purposes and not for minimal engine wer.

MNgopher,

Does the 5.4L V8 have an integral oil cooler in the radiator?

Is this a thermocouple type heat gage or a factory heat guage?

My '92 Burb's 5.7L oil runs at 180 F in 100 F weather unless I'm pulling a load.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
MNgopher,

Does the 5.4L V8 have an integral oil cooler in the radiator?

Is this a thermocouple type heat gage or a factory heat guage?

My '92 Burb's 5.7L oil runs at 180 F in 100 F weather unless I'm pulling a load.

Here is the series of posts on F150online:

Posting of other forum links not allowed.. bring what ever you deem prudent over for discussion. http://theoildrop.server101.com/forum_rules.htm bob

There is some other junk in there from folks who couldn't figure out it was about oil temps, not tranny or radiator temps.

Yes, there is an integral cooler in the radiator.

The post then starts to head down the road of "if it is running so cool, then A - you don't need an auxiliary cooler, and B - maybe 5w-20 isn't such a bad thing in these engines, since it never gets all that "hot".

Comments?

[ September 18, 2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Also, if you call Mobil, there suggestion for these applications is to use Mobil 1 5w-30, which seems to make some sense since it comes in on the low side of being a 30 weight - almost falling into the 20 weight. Several folks have indicated mobil may be releasing a 5w-20 in the coming months.

Duh
pat.gif
- I finally remembered that in this case, we are looking at a Sport Trac, which has the 4.0 SOHC engine. This was one of the engines that Ford determined had too high of wear rates using 5w-20, and therefore still calls for 5w-30. As such, it still falls under the old "G" specification, which allows the use of 5w30.

As I said before, if you do have to go with a 5W30, pick a good blend or a full synth with good boundary (AW) additives.

I still do not see the CAFE standards as equating to engine longevity.

Manfs. are still building engines with leaner stoichiometric fuel ratios, hotter plugs, less oil capacity in the sumps, more power drain from the accessories, less cooling capacities, higher power densities, and they are calling for thinner oil films?

As John Stoessel said, "Gimme a break!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back