5W20 Synthetic

I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi coming up on 35k and will soon need an oil change. At first I had my mind set on Valvoline Advanced Syn oil based on how good the additive package looks (Boron, Moly, Ti), but after looking at PQIA am a little worried about the viscosity at 100* C compared to others. I know it's within range for a 5w20, but have heard the Hemi likes thicker oil. Since it's still under warranty, I need to stick with 5w20 that's MS-6395 compliant. It looks like Castrol Edge is one of the thickest 5w20s (80ppm moly too).

Given that I don't put many miles on per year (home office), the truck is short tripped with some long highway trips here and there for business related travel. Am I better off leaning toward Castrol for the viscosity and higher TBN or Valvoline for the great additive package and slightly better base oils? Engine is quite right now, no ticks or cold start noises, want to keep it that way with 5k changes or once a year.

Last edited:
Castrol is a great choice, or PUP 5w30 if you are a little adventurous (related to warranty). PUP 5w30 is nothing but a thick 5w20. Enjoy the truck.

I would prefer to stay with 5w20 in case of any warranty issues.. especially since it's certified with 100k powertrain. So instead of going 5w30, I figure I'll run a thick 5w20. I like the Valvoline additive package, but it looks thinner than QSUD, PP, and Edge to start + any viscosity breakdown during use. But maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Castrol or PP are good. PUP has a little more stuff that PP but not enough to make a huge difference over the long haul with good OCI and filter.

On paper I have found Valvoline to offer the best 5w20 oil comparable only to Ravenol. I do not like the 5w20 viscosity myself and prefer to use 0w20, but if you are going to use a 5w20 then use Valvoline.

I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi coming up on 35k and will soon need an oil change. At first I had my mind set on Valvoline Advanced Syn oil based on how good the additive package looks (Boron, Moly, Ti), but after looking at PQIA am a little worried about the viscosity at 100* C compared to others. I know it's within range for a 5w20, but have heard the Hemi likes thicker oil. Since it's still under warranty, I need to stick with 5w20 that's MS-6395 compliant. It looks like Castrol Edge is one of the thickest 5w20s (80ppm moly too).

Given that I don't put many miles on per year (home office), the truck is short tripped with some long highway trips here and there for business related travel. Am I better off leaning toward Castrol for the viscosity and higher TBN or Valvoline for the great additive package and slightly better base oils? Engine is quite right now, no ticks or cold start noises, want to keep it that way with 5k changes or once a year.
Based on their most recent PDS on their websites, Valvoline Advanced (KV@100=8.3) is a little thicker than Castrol Edge (KV@100=8.2). Oddly enough, Pennzoil Platinum, who many like to refer as "thin" is thicker than both at KV@100=8.6.

Good catch! The data on PQIA was also for Valvoline FS with Maxlife which looks to be thinner than Advanced based on the PI sheet on Valvolines site (8.2 vs 8.3).

I ran PP in my 6.2 Silverado previously and while it performed well, it used almost a quart every time over 5k vs Amsoil XL did not. I’ll try Valvoline Advance this round and see how it performs.

Last edited:
Good catch! The data on PQIA was also for Valvoline FS with Maxlife which looks to be thinner than Advanced based on the PI sheet on Valvolines site (8.2 vs 8.3).

I ran PP in my 6.2 Silverado previously and while it performed well, it used a quart every time over 5k vs Amsoil XL did not. I’ll try Valvoline Advance this round and see how it performs.
I tend to experience increased consumption with PP also. Usually, I blame it on putting it into a car with 238,000 miles! Next in, Castrol just for comparison purposes.

Mine receives Platinum 5w-20 at 6 mo or 5K intervals. Enjoy the oil change, it will be messy. Really messy.

Mine receives Platinum 5w-20 at 6 mo or 5K intervals. Enjoy the oil change, it will be messy. Really messy.

Yeah the filter isn't in the best spot. Going to try using a bag when taking it off to see if that'll help.

Yeah the filter isn't in the best spot. Going to try using a bag when taking it off to see if that'll help.
The filter isn’t the issue, it is the drain plug.
Pictures from two separate oil changes. It will splatter on the ground.

Attachments

• 0C33AF75-C918-4F17-9FB2-E592CE0920BF.jpeg
    0C33AF75-C918-4F17-9FB2-E592CE0920BF.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 213
  • C8E64E76-E554-4395-8779-930F25F7A2E7.jpeg
    C8E64E76-E554-4395-8779-930F25F7A2E7.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 210
With a certified 100k warranty can you perform your own oil changes? My friends say Nissan and Honda with a warranty similar to yours don’t allow for that.

Valvoline is a great choice there’s many great synthetics out there.. Mobil, pennzoil, castrol super tech. Factory fill may be pennzoil.. you can also ask the dealer service department what they use in bulk.

Back